Sunday, December 30, 2018

The Under Garden Report

All the baby conifers emerged from the summer Lush a little bit bigger and looking to be in fine shape.




















Then they got squashed with two rounds of heavy wet snow. Such is the way of training for any plant that wants to live way up here. I have a significant range of weather. They must adapt.

There was some bending. Some things more so than others, but plants know perfectly well which way is up. They will want to straighten and fluff up on their own. I will fondle them a little and let them do the rest of the work.




















How do I get these evergreen conifers to survive in the Tall Flower Meadow that towers over their heads in the growing seasons? Skylights. I make them skylights and make sure the meadow plants don't sit on top of them. They have an opening to the air and sky above.

They would probably grow faster and be even more robust in a mulched bed in full sun without all the competition. That's not what I got. They have to make do. I think we have reached a good compromise.




















The wet heavy snow bent the grasses too. There has been a feeble attempt by the unsnapped at standing back up. The rain and snow has been pretty relentless though and grasses are much perkier when dry. Some dry sure would be nice. These mountains are 100% saturated. I'm seeing running water in places I have never seen it before.




















I'm kind of enjoying this new winter do of the grasses though. I've never seen this almost woven wave in it. It is most interesting. I'll let it be to do what it wants for now.




















The Under Garden of winter so does not blend in with the natural surroundings anymore. It is really growing in to a bit of a spectacle. I blame it on Asheville.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

You have to blame something or someone.

Christopher C. NC said...

That's for sure Lisa. I didn't do this all by myself. There were influences.