Wednesday, May 13, 2020

A Spell Of Ugly Leaves

I have been pleasantly relieved to see in my travels that there is close to zero freezer burn in the gardens I tend. It takes two weeks to make the full circuit and there are higher places yet to go.

I stopped to admire some roadside weed flowers, Salvia lyrata.




















The generous leaf and tip burn in my own garden has been crisping up to reveal the full extent of damage. There will be a spell of ugly leaves. I hope there will be a second attempt at spring growth from many who got nipped in the bud.




















The wild cultivated gardens grow on. Trilliums by the thousands turn pink and fade into memory.




















The Yellow Lady may have three Slippers this year.




















The carpet of Spanish Bluebells is winding down. Flower petals are among the first thing to freeze.




















Phacelia purshii is waiting in the wings. Another wave of blue will cover the ground as the groves of rhododendron come into bloom. Hopefully I will be able to ignore this spell of ugly leaves.


1 comment:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

There is always a bit of ugly that comes with the glorious.