Tuesday, December 29, 2020

As The Snow Melts

More often than not, there are a few days of the cleanest, bluest, most cloudless, full sun shiny skies you can image after the snow stops falling.














Still, you may have to go stand and pose in the sunshine to feel any spark of warmth. I do see sparks.














Slowly the days get warmer and slowly the snow begins to melt.














The Crooked Shed is my cold frame for some rare plants I acquired this fall. The idea being just some protection from the extremes of winter in their first seedling year. They will be planted out next fall when they are bigger. I have a Florida Torreya, Torreya taxifolia, a plant currently under assisted migration north and a native Mountain Camellia, Stewartia ovata.














I just don't know where to plant them. I need more land with sun.














It's all good. I am a gardener. I will find a place to plant them and have nine whole months to look.














When the snow melts and with a bit of dry, I have some Lamium next door to kill.














But now is the time for rest and puttering. If I am lucky I might gain ten pounds.


3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Such fun having plants to look forward to planting. I have been think about the garden here. I have plans forming. I want more vines. I want trellises. I want to enlarge planting areas. I have a stick pile started. I used to have one but was talked into getting rid of it. Now with an adult Cooper's Hawk hunting the garden so successfully this winter I know I need to replace the stick pile. It won't take long with all the wind we have now days. Ha...I could easily fatten you up if you were around here. I have a good 20 pounds to give. Cheers and Happy New Year.

Christopher C. NC said...

Cheers Lisa. I have been waffling on whether to burn the many stick piles in the garden next door or just stomp on them to make them smaller. The stick piles here are huge and never ending.

RobinL said...

Snow always looks so lovely on a garden, and winter rest from garden work is usually welcome.