Saturday, October 15, 2022

A Leafy Bloom Day

This is going to be the week of peak leaf peeping. We are off to a very good start.














Starting Tuesday morning, there are going to be three days with lows in the mid 20's. No snow. What will a flash freeze do to the leaves for peeping? Joe Pye will freeze just fine. It's ready.














The Monkshood blue may not fare as well. It is in full bloom.














The Blue Wood Asters are also still in full bloom. A light frost is one thing. Three mornings in the low 20's is another. That is a killer freeze plus.














The trees are turning.














The days are growing short.














The view from my window changes to another form of beauty.














A new aster, Symphyotrichum georgianum followed me home. I don't want to plant it until after the killer freeze. The Georgia Aster is a low population native. Maybe it will like it here. The color purple caught my eye. 


2 comments:

beverly said...

LOVE the Georgia aster! Glad you found it. I first saw it at Mt. Cuba; not easy to find (got it at Woodlanders). Flowers are large and beautiful but plant is 4' and floppy for me - but I struggle for full sun. Just opening now here on the MD coastal plain.

Christopher C. NC said...

Beverly my new Georgia aster is in full bloom on the dining room table at the moment. Beautiful. I think it is safe for it to go back out today. Now where to plant it so it gets as much sun as possible?