Friday, October 8, 2010

Glass Block Stacked

Maybe you have noticed I am in awe of the front roadside bed of late. Even the Sheffie Mums color doesn't seem so salmony this year. It has more of an orange tint or I am imagining things after too many color exercises. Could be the increased number of companions has tamed its original shock value to my senses as well.

I'll keep that in mind as I work in a cozy cabin of strong primary colors. Furnishings will subdue it all.



Back to stacking glass block. And please note how the decorative 1x1 glass tile completely disappears behind the glass block. All that color coordination trauma and I could have gone in a completely different direction with a whole new theme inside the shower and you never would have know it until you got wet.



And at the end of the day they were indeed all stacked. Other processes will follow. There is always another process. The spacers need to be removed after the wall sets and then a finish coat of mortar will go in the seams like a grout.

For the worry warts out there, the glass block wall is anchored to the side wall at every joint and also has mini rebar type wire in every horizontal joint to give the whole thing greatly increased stability.

Because we did not buy the expensive glass block shower kit, there is an additional process. I will need to put white field tile on the door side of the glass block wall to cover the rough ends and create a flat smooth surface for the door jamb to be mounted to. I saw what looked like tile as the end piece on glass block walls at the Pittsburgh Corning site. That must mean it can be done.



The glass block wall is progressing smoothly. I like it when things appear to work. My computer went back to the mechanics and I think it is playing stump the geek. I have been told it has passed every hardware test he can give it. Now they are going to delete the Windows operating system completely and reinstall that, thinking somehow it was corrupted, like my computer has been hanging out with the wrong crowd or something.

I needed a little something to cheer me up after dealing with all the consequences of being zapped with an electromagnetic pulse. I went to the nice independent local nursery, for business reasons of course, and came home with a Bosnian Pine, Pinus leucodermis for myself. I did have bad intentions when I went in there. The new pine will become part of my evergreen screening from the scenic byway during the naked winter months.



The early Fall flower show has been quite dazzling this year.



It will all be over at some point though and I will need some good bone structure to carry me through the winter.



My new pine will help and buying it did make me feel better.

3 comments:

Lola said...

Oh those roadside colors are magnificent. Love that pine to help conceal in winter.
Glass blocks are looking good. Getting closer. I think the 1x1 are pretty, even if they are hidden.
Yes, all accessories will tone the bold colors down. It will all be pretty when you get it done.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the glass block (I am jealous), sheffie mums (ditto; have not seen them for sale yet), and muhly grass with mums and verbena! You are right; that garden is stunning this year!

bev

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Nothing like a good plant purchase to make your spirits soar. Getting that glass wall up should make you feel good to. It looks good. I like the way the green glass tiles peek through the clear glass wall. the curious will want to peek inside that glass wall to see what is making that lovely spriped color. Your extravagant roadside garden is quite beautiful this fall.