Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fall Like Colors

Don't come peeping yet. The hills are still pretty much green. If you look up where it all begins, there is the faintest hint of fall like colors.



While we wait, color can be found in the under Lush.



The yellow sport of the salmon pink Sheffie Mum is opening its first flower. I eagerly await the revelation of its true color.



The Blue Wood Aster comes in several colors. From a near white with the faintest blue blush to a deep purpley blue. Look at those burgundy leaves of the Clematis virginiana. Damn vine. Why does it have to be so invasive. It has so many redeeming attributes.



There is a totally accidental color flow with the silver colored stock tank covering the well head, the white aster and the Feather Reed grass. Next spring the spigot will flow. I put it in the threaded drain hole now to give the impression it is attached inside thinking it might be less likely to wander off. At a certain point in these parts, outdoor watering is eliminated for the season. I can make a working connection next year.



Blue asters as far as the eye can see. Everywhere there are blue asters.



These are the colors I must live with while I wait for the real colors of fall.



There is no need to rush I suppose.

5 comments:

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

These colors are beautiful! Be patient, your leaves should be bursting by next week. I was in Ashville last week and things were starting but today near Big Stone Gap the mountain tops were changed with drops of golds and reds falling upon the hillside downhill.
nellie

Lola said...

Beautiful. I wouldn't mind waiting for the "REAL" Fall colors if I had such lovely colors to look at now. It is glorious.
Good idea on the spigot. Sure hope the tank doesn't walk off. Bummer on the other item that took a walk.

Anonymous said...

My Sheffies are late. The only thing it could be is it has been so so dry this summer. My muhly grass has no signs of blooms.
Sallysmom

Anonymous said...

It's very sad that you have to put up with those colors while you're waiting for the 'real' colors, haha! Remind me what is that blue structure in the far distance in the photo of the asters, by the rocks? It provides a nice focal point.

bev

Christopher C. NC said...

Oh It will come Nellie, I know.

Lola the real colors will be followed by the real cold. I can wait.

Sallysmom you are much further south. I would imagine your mums and Muhly would be later. I have seen some Muhly up here with no blooms next to some in bloom and thought the dry might have got them.

Bev that is a gate across one of the 3 roads on my neighbors land across the byway.