Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Simple Task Gone Horribly Awry

I don't want to look at an ugly propane tank the rest of my natural born days. I'm not overly fond of the satellite dish either, but I have to live with that if I want to send and receive messages from the heavens.

It seemed simple enough. I bought seven boxwoods, Buxus microphylla var. koreana 'Wintergreen' to hide what I could, the propane tank, in a yet to be grown and determined Pearl Fryar topiary. How can a simple boxwood have such a long drawn out name?

A half hour planting job turned into a five hour ordeal when I cut one of the buried cables to the satellite internet. I won't bore you with the details. The repair was extraordinarily tedious before the last two boxwoods could be tucked into the ground.

I left an opening for the gas man. Now I'm thinking a small gate could go in there. And by the time I might get around to that I will have forgotten that the cables for the satellite internet are buried right along the entire length of the boxwoods.



Look at the nice late season color developing on the Kousa Dogwood planted by the front porch.



Boxwood and Dogwood. The mundane structure of the garden to be slowly keeps getting added.

5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What fun to have all this room to grow in. Your boxwood screen will be beautiful. You gatta member where those cables are planted though. What a bummer to cut into them.

Anonymous said...

I saw a photo of one of those tanks painted (quite expertly) to exactly resemble a watermelon. Not quite appropriate for your style, but food for thought.....maybe a zucchini or something?

bev

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I have enough room to expand when I fill up the closest parts. Hopefully this cutting of the cable was traumatic enough to seal it in my memory.

Bev I saw that gas tank picture too. I have thought about painting mine. I just don't know what yet. Camouflage?

Laurrie said...

You make me laugh.

I just paid an electrician to come repair the underground wire to our post light that I chopped in two while planting the front walk. All he said was "thank goodness you weren't out here planting at night with the light on. Zap."

ryan said...

I hate when that happens. My sympathies.