Monday, October 3, 2011

A Shock To The System

The first real blast of cold has come and gone. It arrived with a wicked wind as it always does and made a valiant attempt to snow. It was cold and I put my long underwear on.

I have that option. The Sheffie Mum that is only now starting to bloom has to take its chances. It hovered in the low thirties for some time and just barely hit 33, so all is well.



I have adjusted to the cold quite well actually. I can cope. It is the annual transition that is such a shock to the system. The same thing happens when the heat first arrives in summer. The transition period is a little brutal.

Blue asters bloom unfazed. They wait all year until the end is near.



Baby shrubberies in the garden to be need to prepare. This blast of cold will send them a message no doubt. That and the ever shortening days. I wake up in the dark.



The weeds in the garden to be are the main attraction now. They bloom en masse having long ago buried and hidden any plantings I did not find the time to weed around. I'm lucky to have my blooming weeds.



Another season is coming to an end. Out there in the Lush a garden is in hiding.



I will find it again next spring and keep adding to it. One spring in the future it may be a shock when the garden to be appears and it has become the garden that is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is your mom still with you or has she gone back to the sunny climes?
Sallysmom

Gardener in the Distance said...

It all slips under the radar, doesn't it? The best thing about autumn ( fall ) is you get to sit down a bit, put on your slippers and stare out the window.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Isn't it wonderful though?? I know you will enjoy the garden peeking out next spring. It will eventually be.

Anonymous said...

It already looks like a garden; how far you have come! Love those zinnias!

bev

Lola said...

Awesome. Spring, Summer have their own beauty but to me Fall has it. Such an array of color. Mother nature at work.
That does sound a bit cool. Time to sit a little longer.