Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Out There In A Wild Garden

Growing annual vines on my little trellis wasn't producing much of a show in my short growing season. I went perennial with the Coral Honeysuckle.





















The little rooted sprig I planted last year is doing quite well. It gives the service entrance a longer lasting touch of color and interest.



























Every thing is growing madly. The successional march of flowers ebb and flows, producing quite a few crescendos.





















Nearly June, there is no more denying the Lush, but it has not stopped growing.





















It takes big bold foliage to make a statement in the Lush.





















This is the mother patch of Darmera peltata I have been taking pieces of rhizome from to make more statements in the garden.





















The smooth velvet of the Black Iris may need to be spread around.





















Maybe I could squeeze some in next to the creamy white of the Kousa Dogwood.



























Next door the Flame Azaleas have started to bloom.





















So have the Mountain Laurels, while the rhododendrons slowly fade away.





















Up near the byway some may wonder, is it wild or is it cultivated. The gardener knows it is both.





















Fire Pink, Silene virginica is just getting started. I noticed yesterday I may have lost some bloom to slugs.





















Out there in a wild garden





















Are varmints of every kind. I tell myself there is plenty to go around. These plants were made to feed all kinds of things. I can ignore the holes in the leaves. They will still bloom for me.





















There is plenty. It's the Lush.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pic 10 is a beautiful dark pink Kalmia. Is it a native or a hybrid? All of my Mountain Laurel are very pale pink to white. In pic 12 Fire Pink is one of my favorites
Can it grow in the shade? Or does it need more sun?

Christopher C. NC said...

Dana the kalmia is a named cultivar I feel certain. I have no idea the name though. Fire Pink needs at least a half day of sun. Mine is in full sun.

beverly said...

Love the darmera! A great choice for the lush as it is supposed to be a thug!

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev up here I would call the Darmera a sturdy perennial. I can see how it has the potential to be a thug in a smaller garden and one zone warmer in the right conditions. Most years the blooms freeze since they come up alone before the leaves. It has set one seedling. Where it can successfully bloom it would make a lot of babies I bet.