Saturday, May 2, 2015

Twin Falls Pond Gets Some Pretty

Once Twin Falls Pond was working and the fishes were living, the planting was started. It has been proceeding in bits and pieces. All the hosta were already there. I relocated all the ones that were in the top tier on the left to plant a continuation of the surrounding hedge.





















Then I rediscovered what I should have known. The lower tier on the back side of the pond is actually the top of the stone wall that framed the former much larger pond that was covered with the patio. I wasn't going to be digging any holes and planting things there.

Instead it is getting polished Mexican beach pebbles and some big pretty pots to plant.





















I didn't get enough of the beach pebbles to fill that level and have to get more. They are in Asheville and will have to wait until my next visit.





















I am making one planting pocket on top of that wall. You can see it in the bottom right where the larger stones meet the beach pebbles. I'll line it with fabric and fill it with soil. Think of it as a built in pot.

Twin Falls Pond is getting pretty. Its biggest problem at the moment is those thirty two dollar fancy butterfly koi I put in there are anti-social and spend most of their time in hiding.





















The project I intended to do today did not happen. My plan was to lay the new paver path in the kitchen garden, but the Lowes was completely out of the paver base I need to get them level, stable and smooth. It will have to wait for another day.

The pavers will be spaced like they are with the brown brick edging and grass growing in between.





















The same paver with grass path and brown brick edging will be done on the other path in the garden. The paths are all smoothed out and ready to go. I just need another ingredient. I should have had it delivered with the pavers and edging. I just had the bad thought of trying to see if I could get by without it. Oh well.

The new gardens are coming along fine despite all the abuse and trench digging they have suffered.


3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This is going to be gorgeous when you get all planted. It is quite nice even at this stage. Good work!

Lola said...

Great looking.

Joe Biden said...

Nice Sharing!