Monday, July 2, 2007

Chicory

I have been doing a lot more driving of late than I have in the past. There are places to go and things to see now. There is also a need to figure out how these strange roads work. I either bought an old map or the cartographer did a lousy job or they moved and changed the roads and the names. Something is screwy here.




















Part of the problem is that these old country roads that followed the contours of the land and went between small towns and farms in the valley floors were no longer adequate for a motorized and growing America. To speed things up and move people through, a lot of these small towns had four lane mini interstates with limited access plastered on top of them. This cut many of the old roads in half with parts abandoned or dead ended, and parts on one side of this new mini interstate and parts of the old road on the other. It amounts to a collection of disconnected frontage roads serving the cities in narrow valley towns and finger roads going up every side valley or cove.

It sure is pretty though. The forest is so lush that if you don't get off the exit of the mini interstate you won't even see many of these small towns. Even more bizarre is what seems to be one of those big city interstate loops that generally take your around and away from the worst traffic in the city center, here I-40 becomes I-240 in Asheville, it actually takes you into the heart of downtown Asheville. If you stay on I-40 and don't take the loop, you will never see the city for the trees at least as far as I have driven into Asheville.

And I am driving slow because I am looking at the road side weeds as well as trying to find where I am going.















For miles and miles Chicory, Cichorium intybus, is blooming along the side of the road. There was plenty of it on the way to Knoxville. Sky blue flowers on tall lanky stems rise above the grass and line the highways.














Chicory or Chickory, I spelled it both ways and found this nice site with the "k" spelling.















In a farmers field just down from my place were the biggest Chicory plants I have seen in my travels.
















And here we have a native Hydrangea, Hydrangea arborescens growing along the side of the road higher up the mountain, well into the forest.

I took these pictures today after finding the Drivers License Bureau and successfully obtaining a NC drivers license after a very tedious wait. I registered to vote too. I was prepared. I had the thin film of cellulose fibers that is my original social security card, a notarized decrepit birth certificate, a bill with my NC address, proof of insurance and enough common sense to get 20 out of 23 questions right. I guess I am not legally blind either. They didn't ask on the test which way to turn my front wheels when parked on a hill thank goodness, because I have never been able to figure that out.

As my reward I went and bought three one gallon Mugo Pines, Pinus mugo, I'm patient, to plant along my front entry for some winter interest and screening. Finding regular sized Mugo Pines amongst the dwarfs took some effort. Once the deciduous trees go bare my house site will be a bit exposed. I needed an evergreen that would stay shorter since they are close to the utility valley and subject to unauthorized pruning. The Easter winter blast this year caused serious damage to many of my parents Cypress and some Junipers. The Pines and Spruces survived intact.

According to the resident gardeners I have been down graded to a zone 5 from what it says on zone maps. Elevation my darling.

5 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I live in Zone 5. It's not so bad, still plenty of choices of good plants.

There's nothing like the blue of chicory, is there?

Anonymous said...

What an exciting time in life for you!

Of course, I find what you actually discuss to be interesting. But I'm really enjoying the voyueristic thrill of you "rediscovering" the continental world. You are writing about roads! Ha! Wonderful.

Keep it going baby!

Christopher C. NC said...

I look at the Chicory and think, Should I plant THAT in my garden or enjoy it elsewhere?

Ah, cars and roads and the evil pleasures of driving to the destruction of the planet, huh Hank. Rant on!

chuck b. said...

Just don't get lost and eaten by inbred hillbilly cannibals in those forgotten mountain hollers, 'kay?

"They didn't ask on the test which way to turn my front wheels when parked on a hill thank goodness, because I have never been able to figure that out."

You wouldn't last five minutes in San Francisco. This town would chew you up and spit you out.

(Actually, I've never seen or heard tell of any calamity from someone goofing this.)

I like mugo pine! I thought about getting the dwarf to bring some conifer interest to my garden.
Mugo is distinguished by having two needles in the fascicle that separate and twist apart.

chuck b. said...

So, has hydrangea naturalized or something? Weird! Do the flowers turn blue? Do you have red soil in NC like they do in GA?