Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Pits

We are now ready to examine my soil. This is one of my holes.















In the excavation for the road a very large berm/hill on the back side of the roadside vegetable and flower garden was cut. For the pad of the future house a natural ridge line between the sunny utility valley and the shady stream valley on the other side was lowered five feet, out on its point towards the property line. Part of this fill was used for the road and a lot of it was used to create the pad for the cabin which we don't like and are going to re-spread to come closer to the natural degree of slope on the ridge.

The track hoe guy kept saying "Boy there are a lot of rocks. Its like diggin in a potato field." I'm thinking this guy don't know rocks. Try livin on the side of a volcano. It was about 90% soil and 10% nice boulders to small rocks. What kind of rock I do not know. It is white with what looks to be a lot of mica in it.

The soil itself was very sandy with chunks of orange clay. It has an overall yellowish orange color to it.















Now we have dug pits lower down on the side of the ridge for drain field perk tests and it is even sandier than what was on top. My ridge line is made of sand and filled with potatoes. Well now that looks good to me. This should drain just fine. Wrong. The track hoe guy's cousin who dug the pits says they don't like sandy soils for drain fields. It drains too well. What?















Option B location which has enough space for the drain field and a repair area of equal size required as a backup in case of system failure, is on the other side of the sunny utility valley closer to the road. Fortunately we have enough of an elevation drop from the ridge line and building site that gravity will still make shit water flow down hill. No pumps.

And the soil over here which was going to be my primary, most level gardening space is much darker, less sandy and has fewer rocks. The track hoe guy's cousin says this soil looks just right. The county perk test guy shouldn't have any problem with this.

Five pits, three feet wide, five feet long and five feet deep were dug. The drain lines will only be buried 18 inches deep. The number of bedrooms (or dens or offices with closets) and my soil type will determine how many and how long my drain field pipes will have to be. My sitting rooms in the future house just lost their closets.










Meanwhile I have been working on the nicest construction entrance for a building site. Denial maybe, New Agey manifestations of positive thinking, a gardener with too much energy, whatever. I will not be denied. This will be my new home and I can start planting around the edges. I will be permitted to poo.

So far in this bed I have the rescued Daylilies, Penstemon 'Ruby' and 'Midnight Blue' and one Mugo Pine. The other two Mugo Pines I bought went on the opposite side of the drive, further down, behind the roadside vegetable and flower garden. I have added Iris cristata, a diminutive native iris that blooms in the spring and forms dense almost turf like patches. The Dwarf Crested Iris came from the garden next door where it has flourished from one pinched plant in the woods decades ago.

And wonder of wonders, two curves down the road in the middle of no where was an abandoned pile of wood chips. One truck, one pitchfork and I have a mulched bed.











Now I want to add a new texture in a plant that will be in the three foot range in front of the Mugo Pine. I have 10 years before it takes over the whole space I have given it in my head. It can be deciduous. The native hydrangea which I saw tons of today growing on my land just off the road get too tall, but this is in full sun which will make things more compact. There are Euphorbias, Cotoneasters, Sedums and who knows what else to consider.

There is also room for a very short row of plants along the drive. I am thinking the Sempervivums may be just the thing. There would still be more than enough room for a cement truck to get by.

Behind this whole bed as it drops down the hill and as a backdrop, I have spied a gorgeous Sumac growing in the woods. I think it is Rhus glabra, Smooth Sumac. Something other than the brambles there now needs to cover that spot.

I have also been seeing a lot of the plain green Yucca filimentosa in bloom around. They come in cultivars with nice color variations. I'm thinking I may need some of them for outside the entry gate.













In the meantime the first of 100's I am sure, Echinacea purpureas has appeared.

11 comments:

chuck b. said...

Have you seen Carolina allspice?

Congratulations that you can poo!

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff.

But don't cut ANY corners on this kind of thing. When your septic works well, it is a WONDERFUL thing. When it doesn't...

Very interesting. Drains TOO WELL?

Hmmmnn.

Unknown said...

So much ado about poo.....WOW

Love to wake up every morning and see
what you're up too..

XXOOXX

Anonymous said...

I too love reading your thought processes as this takes shape. Typical gardener! (: I would be utterly shocked if you couldn't find someplace that will drain and allow you to poo.
Reminds me of my house renovation; when I was mad at the mason and his equipment all over my yard, he said, "you sure do like your flaers" (translation, if needed: flowers) But the 10 ft. burkwood viburnum he totally flattened survived and thrives, 13 yrs later!

Annie in Austin said...

In keeping with the theme here, Christopher, maybe the plants in the 3-foot range should be Mulleins... I've read that the soft, velvety gray-green leaves were used as toilet paper in days gone by.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Christopher C. NC said...

My e-mail notification for comments does not seem to be working and with competition for computer time with the "Market" junkie I may be missing things.

There will be plenty of cleanup work just from the grading and digging of the pits to get to plantable space in large parts of the property. The forest is a bit on the messy side too.

I have seen plenty of Mulleins growing around. I would just have to be careful not to grab a handful of Poison Ivy at the same time. Tons of that and Stinging Nettle all over the place.

Chris Kreussling (Flatbush Gardener) said...

This is exciting to read about. On one hand, I envy you your opportunity. On the other, it exhausts me to comtemplate it.

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Progress is a beautiful thang !

ya hoo for percolating poop pits too .

Looking forward to following the journey,
Michelle

chuck b. said...

One of my plant ID teachers recalled fond memories of Verbascum bombyciferum from her South Carolina childhood. It didn't occur to me to ask her if she ever wiped her ass with it. But now that we're working the idea, surely you can't beat Stachys byzantina for quilted softness.

Anonymous said...

This made me remember long afternoons in southwest Virginia when I was an undergraduate, taking soil science - for the lab, we'd go on road trips and oooh and aaah at soils exposed by road cuts. I agree with Chuck B. - Carolina allspice is really nice. Also - what about the deciduous native azaleas? I have a few here now, and I've fallen for them - they make the other azaleas look a bit tacky and overdone. Oh - I'm envious of the mugo pine - I think those are just beautiful! I've never checked to see how they would do here along the coast, I've always thought they wouldn't make it.

Christopher C. NC said...

There will be plenty of room for the native and Exbury azaleas and I will tidy up the existing native Rhododendrons and add to them over time.

The Carolina Alspice I will have to pass on until I am sure it isn't a spreader. It is a curse in their Florida garden. The Philadelphus here in NC suckers like crazy too. They tell me that a lot of these wild flowers wander around and can go missing some years.