Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Goodbye Snowdrops Hello Snowflakes

You can't fool me with a short string of melting weathers. It was bound to snow again, sooner rather than later. And here it comes.



















Goodbye snowdrops. Until you emerge again.


























There was a little project I needed to attend to before the edges of the scenic byway were buried in snow plow piles again. Every time I pull in and out of the driveway the accumulating trash on the side of the road annoys me to no end.




















This one full bag of Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Bud light, bottled water, beer bottles, Big Gulps, a dash of Remington bullet boxes and asundry snack bags was acquired in just the short section between the driveway entry and the old chimney. There was still too much left over snow further down the road in the rest of my adopted section of the scenic byway. It will have to wait.

It is still on my list of things to do to create some kind of trash installation/art piece to place near or hang on the scenic byway sign. Perhaps some subtle shaming will make all those rude litterbugs think twice before hurling their beverage containers out the window. Long enough at least to keep my section of scenic byway a little less abused.


























The weather diagnosis is calling for snow as far as the diagnosis goes with a possible day off on Saturday. I of course went to town to stocked up on baked goods and a little real food.

I even ordered all the major appliances for the cozy cabin. Delivery was tentatively scheduled for the 15th of this month. I told them to call first to be sure a truck would be able to get down my driveway. I just might have to shovel that one this winter too if the weathers don't cooperate.




















Driving home before it really started to snow thank you, I remembered the garbage disposal. I didn't order one. Oh well. I can't put in a garbage disposal until I have the sink in. I can't put in the sink until I have the counter top. I don't want to measure for and order the counter top until all the appliances are exactly in place and I know precisely what its dimensions and sink location will be. I have some fudge factor with the appliances and base cabinets to work with.




















Hello snowflakes.They are already piling up.

6 comments:

Lola said...

I don't understand why people have to throw their trash out the window. I was constantly picking things up off the valley between me & the church. Yeah, we had a church on the property. I still have a butcher knife that I found there one year. You can tell it had many yrs of use. There was some treasure in all the mess.
The Snowdrops will be warm under the white blanket.
Christopher, have you ever seen a bald eagle anywhere near the Cozy Cabin? Just finished watching Nature of Eagles on the upper Miss. where they are in abundance. Loved it.
Stay warm. Hope you don't have to shovel in order to get your appliances home.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola it is hard to imagine the mind set that makes littering ok. No bald eagles around here but a couple of species of hawks for sure.

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! I can't believe all that trash people left behind. It is unbelievale that people can just throw stuff out the window as they drive down that beautiful scenic highway. Do they think it will just disappear as they throw it out the window?!

Can't wait to see your new appliances in place. Stay warm!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I live on a well traveled road which I keep picked up. Amazing how much trash is tossed. I have noticed that the trash is less during winter. I have often thought I should keep track of what kind of trash I pick up. I wonder if the type of drink one drinks and throws out is more than another. What kind of person does this anyway.?? Makes me mad.

My snowdrops haven't been fooled by this warm up. The temps are supposed to plunge again the next couple of days taking us back into winter.

New appliances are exciting. Did you get stainless steel or a color?

Cheryl K. said...

I've often wondered if those signs telling us who has adopted a section of road would help reduce the litter. Yours could read "Adopted by the Homeless Cats and Dogs That Arrive Here" but then maybe those people would think, "great, my formerly beloved Felix/Fido will have a job." Or maybe they don't read anyway and it would be lost on them.

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria I think your Crabtree Rd. must have regular convict pickup or they litter less because it dead ends at home. It's never as bad as 209.

Lisa I have a high volume of Mountain Dew and Budweiser. That says local to me. My appliances are all white. Much cheaper than stainless which would have been nice.

Cheryl, a double shaming. You are good! I have thought of posting "Litter Free Zone Next Half Mile" and at each end "Resume Littering".