Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Barren Time Begins

Four full months lay ahead in which the world around me will be grey and bare. The very contours of the earth will be exposed. It will be late February before a significant push of the daffodils breaks the spell and signals the beginning is near.

In a few short weeks I will be left alone in the cold, high on the low spot. I don't know why it feels so heavy this year. With each passing year I am less alone and busier with fewer hours of unoccupied time. This year it may only be the blizzards that force me to twiddle my thumbs.




















All the Lush is shriveling into dried remnants of its former self waiting to be crushed to the ground. The ground itself will be barren soon with only a coat of leaves for protection.




















I can see my neighbors driveway across the scenic byway now. And everyone driving by can see in to the cozy cabin. People wave at me now when I am settin' on the front porch. I wave back because it is the polite thing to do. I must remember to fertilize all my baby evergreen screening shrubberies come spring.




















No doubt I will settle into the barren season occupied and content. It too will pass.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

There will still be wonderful things to see, like the holly tree/berries in snow. Or, just the beauty of the first great snow of the season. Then there are the ice crystals. Then, January shows up and I am cranky for a whole month. Then, I start looking for the first sign of spring in February which is normally a crocus.
For me, if I make it through January, I have it made.

Anonymous said...

The heaviness could be the first winter without your dad. This is my first winter without my mom.
Sallysmom

Lola said...

The loss of loved ones do weight heavy on the heart.