Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Weeds Are Blooming

I wait for the bush morning glory seeds I planted to wake up from the stupor that is the seedling phase, grow and then bloom. Why do the seeds I plant up here just sit there for so long after they germinate? I hope they are growing nice big root systems. It's almost July. There is no time to waste.





















The Louisiana Iris 'Black Gamecock' has arrived. They were blooming down in Asheville two weeks ago.





















I think the roadside vegetable garden is finally growing. The sweet potato vines pouted for a solid month after they were planted. The peppers just sit there. The various squashes and cucumbers are still mostly in the seedling stage. There haven't been but a few days that have been over 80 degrees. We have no hot.

They better be growing nice big root systems. It's almost July. There is no time to waste.

I'm not sure it matters though. I have left so much unharvested. There just doesn't seem to be enough time. I have weeds to pull, damn Clematis virginiana, I will be rid of you one day, and too much work kind work. The roadside vegetable garden is not getting much attention this year.

I have seen the first baby tomatoes and the pole beans are vining. I saw two box turtles down in the sunny utility meadow in a most awkward position. The strawberry crop was certainly good enough for making babies.





















I should probably schedule in a set harvesting day and time. Harvest. No weeding. This is real food that shouldn't go to waste.

2 comments:

Lola said...

All blooms are pretty. Seems like all veggie gardens are slow this yr. Sure hope a catch-up happens.

Barry said...

I think your garden looks so tidy, likely because of that nice thick layer of mulch. Ruth Stout would have approved!