Monday, November 11, 2013

A Sack Full Of Seeds

I have access to copious quantities of perennial wild flower seeds and have managed to bring home several sacks full this year. Today I harvested liatris and Verbena bonariensis.

Yesterday I harvested Miss Dinah and brought her over to live with us for the winter. She took to the move with no resistance at all.





















I bring them home and toss them out in the tall flower meadow. Yes, the cat too.





















I remember tossing out a sack full of Purple Coneflower. I spread the seeds of Rudbeckia maxima and Thermopsis caroliniana. There were others. I lose track.

It feels a bit like I am abandoning my duties as a gardener by tossing out seed and leaving it to fate. I have no idea what will show up, when or where. My job becomes the editor. The unwanted are removed. I do know the tall flower meadow will never be the same from one year to the next. Each year will be a mystery.





















It is the nature of the beast anyway. Copious quantities of seed are being released on the winter winds by the current resident wild flowers. I can't even walk through the tall flower meadow now without becoming a vector of seed dispersal.





















My garden is caught between being a garden and a wild place. I aim to go with the flow.


5 comments:

Lola said...

Those seeds will give you beauty.

Christopher C. NC said...

That's what I am hoping for and more purple colors.

beverly said...

I think your strategy of being an editor in this setting is brilliant. Coupled with the treasures you plant it will gradually edged toward a more tended look if you wish. What a fascinating experiment!

Barry said...

I think you give legs to some seeds that would perhaps be much happier if given a chance to wander a bit and sprout in a slightly different soil, with different root-neighbors having varied allelopathies to interact with. A chance to dance.

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev it is an experiment for sure. Nothing I would ever do for a client or have done in my own gardens before.

Barry I'm taking seeds from civilized gardens and reintroducing them to their wild origins for sure.