Sunday, February 22, 2015

A Day Of Unpleasantness

Yesterday was gross. Every variety of frozen precipitation you can imagine fell from the sky until it eventually turned to rain after dark.





















I am used to that. I can cope. What made it truly unpleasant, next to unbearable, was the wind. The wind screamed all day long.

The temperature kept creeping up. It got well past freezing. A good melt commenced and frozen crap continued to get tossed through the air.























All the way up to 40 plus. It was a new cold with that wind. I went next door to reconnect my exterior water exhaust for the furnace in that cold. Without any negative and single digits in the diagnosis I wouldn't have to collect the water in a bucket in the utility closet and have to empty it every other day.

The utility closet is unheated, but it has to get very cold to do that to my water bucket.



























Poor Uncle Ernie. It was miserable out there.





















Today there was a reprieve. All that howling warm air pushed away the cold for one short day of respite before the cold returns again.





















I went to town to check on my babbling brook and koi pond. The snowdrops opened for business while they could.





















It actually made it up to fifty today, a new, new warm for a short amount of time.



























One short spurt of fifty isn't enough though. The ground is in that horrible state of melt where there is a layer of thaw on top of frozen. I brought a load of dung home with me and am now stuck at the bottom of my driveway until the mud refreezes.

The ground has stayed so cold there really are not any signs of the 10,000 daffodils yet. This will be the latest emergence of the bulbs I have ever seen. I hope that means there will be a really good show this year.

'Arnold' is quite fine with a short spurt of fifty.





















Once it finally turned to rain, it rained all night and melted all the snow. The next round of snow and cold will have to recover the ground starting from scratch.


5 comments:

Swimray said...

We've has weekend weather weirdness here in Virginia, too. To celebrate one "warm" day, I took the canna and colocasia out of winter storage.
Ray

Christopher C. NC said...

Swimray I have a poor begonia I keep thinking I need to set outside on nice days. Not sure it will last much longer in my no humidity house.

Rose said...

You have such a way with words, Christopher; I chuckled at your different descriptions of frozen precipitation. I think my friends in warmer parts of the world feel sorry for the snow we get every winter, but I would much rather have snow anyday than ice or freezing rain. Looking forward to seeing your 10,000 daffodils when it finally warms up!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Still snow/ice covered here. Can't see hellebores or snow drops. With zero being in the diagnosis as you say it is a good thing.

Christopher C. NC said...

Rose I am beginning to understand why the Inuit people had so many words for snow.

Lisa I am getting a fresh layer of snow right now. At least the lows are only showing the low 20's.