Thursday, February 19, 2015

Minus Seven

Today was cancelled. There was hardly any traffic on the scenic byway. Yesterday in the snow it was a normal flow. This part of WNC does not do ice and single digits. Snow they can handle. I have much higher standards. I don't do anything below 40 degrees.





















I had my suspicions. They have been confirmed. I have not had mail service for two days. That's what you get when you are the last box on the route another mile up the mountain. I suspect if there is nothing to deliver in horrible weather, that extra mile is eliminated. Outgoing mail waits uncollected.





















I got enough snow to cover the perennial plant's crowns. That should spare them the worst stress of negative digits. I have a feeling the evergreen clumping bamboo is going to get freeze dried again.  Hopefully with the snow blanket, this year's crop of new canes won't be stunted like last year's batch.





















Minus seven degrees. When it made it up to plus seven I went next door and finished my house cleaning. All I have to do now is clean the filters, turn on the water and open the gate. I will not be shoveling any driveways. They will have to hope for the best.

The start of next week is already looking sketchy with highs all below 40. Oh Lord, another week stuck inside. Hmm? Will I be able to turn on the water? Is there anything left to clean?





















I have tried not to complain. This is winter. Winter is a crucial element in the proper functioning of the garden. But let me tell you, it was dangerous to be out there today. Even the reduced, almost gentle wind was a biting menace.





















The problem is the persistence of this patch of wintery snow and cold. In a proper southern winter there should be regular breaks of sunny 40 degree days. There has been none of that in the last two weeks. It's not proper.


4 comments:

Lola said...

That is cold. It has gotten colder here. Hope all will be ok.

Christopher C. NC said...

All will be well, but when it warms up I will have a lot of catching up to do.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

It is Februweary. I agree that it is not right. At least not how I like it. When the temps keep having the minus mark before them it is weary. Hang in there we will survive.

Christopher C. NC said...

-3 when I went to bed. -1 when I woke up. The wind stopped and the warm air rose to the mountain tops. I bet it is cold down below. At least next week is looking to be slightly above freezing during the day.