Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Just Me And The Varmints

There are some realities to maintaining three acres of ground as cultivated meadows on the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere surrounded by forest.




















One of them being that by this time of year the gardens blend seamlessly into the surroundings. That was one of my original goals. It just doesn't happen year round. The Tall Flower Meadows make it happen. The Under Garden of Winter is its own different being.



















The Lush has reached full height as summer comes to an end.




















At full height, a mass bloom begins to finish off the season.




















This is nature's doing. I nudge things.




















In this garden, now is a time of rest.




















The plants don't need or want me to interfere with the show. I only need keep the paths open.




















There are other realities.




















On the top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere surrounded by forest, I am not alone. 


















I am surrounded by varmints of every order and classification feasting on the life generated by the nudge of a gardener and nature's generous response.
















It is best to carry a stick when you walk through the tall flower meadows this time of year. The spiders are claiming all the air space. The dark of the night is filled by the vibration of multitudes of katydids and crickets. Owl hoots all around. I saw signs the pigs are back. I could go on and on.

It's a full on uncaged zoo out there. It's just me and the varmints.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

What a nice existence with all of those varmints.

Christopher C. NC said...

It has its plus and minuses. Lisa.