Friday, March 13, 2020

Many Years Later

In another three months I will have completed my thirteenth year high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountaintop. I don't walk this mountain as fast as I used to. Time does what time does.




















Time is growing the Under Garden of Winter into substance. Every year it becomes more visible to the rubberneckers. Every year it gets easier to maintain as is. The garden is full. Not that that is an iron clad rule for a gardener or realistic for a living canvas full of varmints and pestilence.
















The Abundance more than compensates. I have daffodils blooming too. It is time. The songbirds are returning and the voice of the forest has shifted tone completely. Spring rises.



















My best patch of Trout Lilies have been multiplying most generously. It is nice when you find a plant's sweet spot. Even educated guesses don't always get it right. And then some plantings get eaten by the varmints and you never know if it was in a sweet spot.




















Many years later high on the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top.


4 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I have been obsessing about moss lately. I have an area in my garden that moss naturally was growing. So I have decided to make it a highlight in this area. I notice in your pictures that along the drive there appears to be a moss growing. I bet you have all sorts of mossy places. I am reading a book _The magical world of moss gardening_ by Annie Martin and she mentions Kenilworth Moss Garden in Asheville, NC. Are you familiar with this place? If I ever get over that way I want to see it.

C. C. said...

Has the skunk moved on?

Christopher C. NC said...

That is moss Lisa. It shows up better in the winter. In summer grass and what not can be growing in it. I have met Annie Martin a couple times. Have not heard of the Kenilworth moss garden though.

CC the skunk has moved on, passed on or went back to being a creature of the night thank goodness.

C. C. said...

Good to know, thanks. I was worried about the stinky little thing ... and you possibly having to deal with it.