Sunday, August 2, 2020

A Semi-New Window

Let me just repeat how happy I am that I Did Not have to lift, tote, setup, take down, lift and tote to return a heavy set of scaffolding to get to the loft window from outside on the roof two and half stories up. 

The window was washed and is once again nailed in by square edged, new plastic exterior trim and glued in by caulk. The recess has been reduced to the half an inch of trim. Now I just need a good hard rain with a bit of a southern blow to see how it works.
The interior trim was put back in thinking why redo something that fits. Just add in more. On re-contemplation a single piece window sill trim would look better. I'll have to trade in the 1x4 I bought for some 1x6 and do it right. That could actually make a fine winter project. I've been thinking about redoing the wall trim too so it will match all the rest of the window trim and baseboards inside the cabin. I'm not sure how it ended up different. It might have been me trying to salvage scraps from other processes.














In the meantime I have one more loft window to take out and reset to eliminate the water and snow collecting design flaw.














Eliminating the recess of the loft window didn't do a thing to the look of the cabin. It is impossible to tell the difference.













Except ... I opted not to paint the square edge plastic trim and left it the white it came as when I did repaint the exterior window trim. That white adds a little detail, some eyeliner, to the windows. I like it.














Seriously, setting up scaffolding on the down hill side of the cabin would have been a PITA. Climbing up and down from it for all the processes involved would not have been fun.














That was enough window work for one day. The maintenance gardener did not show up for mowing today, but the roadside trash man came and went for a slow walk along the scenic byway to tidy things up a bit. Then it was time to sit down.
A good hard rain with a bit of a southern blow arrive the next morning. The window redo was a failure. It leaked. Instead of leaking down through the wall and the kitchen ceiling, it leaked up through the window frame. Maybe that is some form of progress.
The window will have to be removed again. It needs more caulk. It needs a water tight seal between the glass and the plastic exterior framing. I'll try again. Maybe it needs a drain hole just in case? Good thing there are so many processes and I wasn't finished yet.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Try, try again... I do like the bit of white trim showing.

Christopher C. NC said...

I was trying not to be messy and have caulk ooze out too much when I pressed it in place. That was too cautious. I need the ooze.