Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Like Ironweed

Big and tall and purple in a field somewhere waiting for God's children to notice














Ironweed is hard to get rid of when it finds a spot it likes. It puts down strong regenerative roots. Oddly for an herbaceous perennial, bits of it left in the ground will resprout, but it does not transplant well at all. It self-sows.














The last ironweed left in the roadside vegetable garden proper. Plenty more all around. The ironweed had a good year. The vegetable garden is having a terrible year. There will be dried beans and root crops. Somebody is eating all the green tomatoes.

I walked up to the roadside in the gloaming to notice the color purple.


2 comments:

beverly said...

I really like ironweed although yes it has started to like my garden a bit too much. I don't find the shorter cultivars as exciting. It's certainly one of the more attractive 'weeds'!

Christopher C. NC said...

I love my ironweed this time of year. The extras really need to be dug up after a good rain to get rid of them because the root systems and crowns are like iron. I'm not needing to do that in my garden yet, other than the vegetable beds, which is good