Thursday, November 4, 2010

Before The Snow Flies

The routine of going to town before a snow storm arrives has been reinstated. Kitties needed canned food. I needed sugary treats and items for indoor construction progress while it snows. Passing rains were followed by intermittent clearing and decreasing temperatures.



I was busy inside working on the first bit of trim work. The entry into the loft was cased in white oak stained the same cherry as all the other wood elements. I thought wood would make a much more durable surface than drywall for all the coming and going through this entrance.


It's not as dark as it looks in this picture and more finish trim will be needed where this white oak casing meets the drywall to hide that seam. I'm thinking a thin strip of 1 x 1 will do nicely.



I brought home the throne to install and could be we have all the right fittings to install the faucets in the bathroom sink. Anytime now I can start assembling all the kitchen cabinets.

The snow flies.


Winter has begun.

8 comments:

Siria said...

Yep ~ winter is here! It looks like it is really blowing in that last picture. Stay warm and dry inside. Now you can get all the inside details completed in the cozy cabin without feeling badly because you aren't outside gardening. The bathroom and loft are looking great!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wow, such excitement...first snowfall. The weather people have been threatening us with flurries. I will believe it when I see it. They were right about the wind so we will just have to wait and see. Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy.

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria we had these mini snowpours to start off with. It is supposed to increase during the night. Yes all the finish work will keep me busy during the cold. I love my bathroom.

Lisa this first snowfall is also our first real cold into the mid 20's. I picked bell peppers this morning before the expected snow. I never seem to lack for chores to do and have some planned for the resident gardeners house this winter.

Randy Emmitt said...

Christopher,
I installed a trone today too! Your finish work looks great! I've a final inspection in the morning, a bath and kitchen remodel I've been working for months on. no snow here in central NC

Lola said...

It is shaping up nice. I agree about the 1x1. Now that winter is here you can get a lot of the fine work done. I'm sure it's warm & cozy inside.
Yep, seems like winter is here. 1st snow of the season. When did you get the 1st one last yr?
That bathroom is gorgeous. It will be a pleasure for you to take a shower.

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks for the compliments Randy. If you would say the same after seeing it in person I'd feel even better. I've got the bathroom near done after a couple of months. Maybe the kitchen will go quickly too.

Lola the little heater keeps it in the 60's inside. I just have to go outside to cut all the trim wood and stain it. Some nice weather will be needed. I look forward to my first shower in the new bathroom.

Anonymous said...

I love your bathroom too; especially the play of the light thru the glass block in your previous post. Wow! Will you rent it out??!! (:

bev

chuck b. said...

No matter how bleak and monochromatic the winter wonderland may become, you will be vibrant and colorful inside.