The stained trim must dry before I nail it to the walls. Twenty four hours is just barely long enough. It is still a bit tacky then, but I am on a mission to cut and stain as much as I can before the weathers turn. I want to avoid staining the trim inside if at all possible. I have a feeling it won't be.
There was extra drying time because the inside portion of the door frame had to be cleaned and painted white first. Strange how this white door with the two windows is not as annoying as the white bathroom door on a painted wall.
Each new detail is often a bit shocking at first. Is this what I wanted? After looking at the cabin one way for so long, a new element takes some getting used to. The trim is rustic to say the least. It is prime choice 1 x 3 sanded and stained cherry to match all the other wood elements. I didn't want any of the thinner, finely milled or fancy trim pieces you can buy off the rack. I hope. I was sticking with the simple clean line concept.
The bathroom is near complete except for the window trim.
That window trim is drying on the rack with the back door trim and some base boards.
In a spare moment, ha, I decided to paint the main girder and short columns - it will be the same Molera Vaquero Red of the main columns - on the driveway side of the cabin only to discover that the damn varmints have been chewing on the wood trying to get inside my house. Damn varmints!! Then I also remembered I need to do some caulking on the seams under there to help keep the damn varmints out.
I looked closer and found some varmint entry holes around a gas line and a ceiling light box under the cabin for the basement patio. They had chewed right through big globs of spray foam insulation in addition to the wood beams they have been gnawing on. Damn Varmints!!
I have a lot of caulking to do that will need to dry before I can paint the main girders. I knew it wouldn't be difficult to find things to do while I waited for the stain to dry.