Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Home Like

A new morning dawns. I keep plugging away at the list that does not exist. Maybe when the list is potentially shorter, I will have a list.




















I just do things that seem reasonable at the moment. On a warm and sunny day it seemed reasonable to remove the giant hornet nest attached to the side of the cabin and caulk under the main girder. The caulk will further seal the cabin's floor from air infiltration aiding the insulation. It will also help keep the small bugs and varmints out.

This was what was inside the hornet's nest turned upside down. It looks like a frosted wedding cake.




















The main girder was sanded to prepare it for a coat of primer, but you can see the residue of the hornet nest on the siding above and the column below. The girder is nine and a half inches tall. It was a big nest. Thank goodness nobody was home. It was actually filled with ladybugs who had decided to move into the abandoned property. To bad for them. They'll just have to find another crevice in the cabin to shack up in.


























There was cutting, sanding and staining of trim on a nice sunny day too. It was even so warm and pleasant the stain was dry enough in the late afternoon that some of it was put into place. Another window is done.


























It's actually looking very home like. Not only that it is looking like I imagined it should so many new mornings ago. I might just be deliriously happy with the results.




















The finished electric fixtures, major appliances and kitchen counter are about all that is left before a final inspection for the occupancy permit. Maybe the list is short now if you don't count all the odds and ends.

4 comments:

Siria said...

Hi Christopher!
I am amazed at all you do without a list. I tend to need a list to see where I am and where I am going. It also makes me feel great to be able to cross things off the list. That hornets nest is scary! It is amazing how fast they can build them too. Thank goodness they had moved on! Cozy Cabin is looking awesome!!!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. You have much to be thankful for as your beautiful home is almost complete.

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria I have to have a shopping list these days or I forget things. As long as I have supplies the other list is unnecessary. I do indeed have a bountiful list of things to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Lola said...

One more job done. I really like that window trim. The shot of the corner is wonderful. It gives one a new perspective of how lovely it really is. Seeing it in that direction I can see how the art does look better slightly higher than the door height.
So the sofa is facing the windows that look out over the utility valley? Great.
Boy, that was a BIG nest. So glad the occupants had left.
I wish for you a wonderful Thanksgiving with good food, family & plenty of good friends.

bev said...

Happy Thanksgiving Christopher! Your cabin is almost done, isn't it?! I confess I didn't think I would like that marigold but now I see your instincts were accurate as always!

take care.