Monday, June 20, 2011

Perennial Restoration

I have spent three days reclaiming a perennial bed that was possibly never fully planted and let go for the last two years at least. It was completely filled with weeds and it took some looking to save some of the good stuff. The worst weed by far is Bishop's Weed, Aegopodium podagraria. That is the white leaved blob in the front of the bed next to the lawn. It forms a dense mat interconnected by millions of rhizomes. I am digging it out in chunks because it does not belong in a perennial bed being restored to a cutting garden. And I will no doubt continue to weed it out for several seasons to come.



And when I look up from my restoration (weeding) there is a view.



I wait for a load of mulch to arrive so this weeding procedure does not need to be repeated. It will be fully planted and paths will wind through it. A cutting garden with a view.

6 comments:

Lola said...

That Bishop must be a real pest.
That is a wonderful view. It would be pleasant to see that while working.
Mulch does save a lot of work.

Anonymous said...

Not a bad job, at all!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Bishop's weed is the bane of many gardens no doubt. I about fainted when I saw it being SOLD at a local nursery. UGH... The view here is outstanding.

Siria said...

It's just beautiful!

chuck b. said...

That sure looks like a nice place to work.

Cindy, MCOK said...

I'm all caught up on your posts. You made me smile, laugh, cry and ponder. I'm so happy you're settling into Hale Mana. Much aloha from my corner of Katy to your mountainside!