Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Stolen Bloom Day

I have had a lot on my mind of late and completely and totally forgot it was the internationally recognized Garden Bloggers Bloom Day today until I had finished my volunteer correspondence and wandered out in the web of gardeners to pleasure myself.



As the sub-title of this blog implies, I do indeed live the life of gardening and it just so happens the reason I was in West Asheville yesterday evening was to scout for potential gardens for the upcoming garden stroll.



What follows may or may not be gardens featured on the stroll, but if anyone should take an inquisitive walk through the real neighborhoods of West Asheville, you will indeed see blooms and sights like this.



Good thing I took pictures yesterday because it started pouring, even hailing a bit, and hasn't stopped since I left work late this afternoon. There will be no bloom report from the low spot of a North Carolina mountain top for this Bloom Day. You see enough of that anyway.



Let's go to West Asheville for Bloom Day. Ok mark this down to go chat up the gardeners later.



And we stumbled upon a sunset view.



There are quite a few real and avid gardeners in this urban community.



One thing that sets the hardcore gardeners apart is that in these very tiny urban front yards the front lawn is a thing of the past. There is no room for grass unless it is an ornamental grass.



My gardener's eye looks for plants that could be blooming in early September amongst the lush summer blooms. Anemones, sedums, Joe Pye, Goldenrod, Ironweed , Asters, Sheffie Mums? Do I see any of that?



Here we have an entirely edible front yard. Call Fritz Haeg. The summer vegetables were just recently planted. Or you could call it the roadside vegetable garden with the wildflowers mixed in. Put my house closer to the road and there isn't much difference.



Oh nice. Mark this one down. This co-op housing development also had an extensive vegetable growing area.



Now I wonder what category Ms. Carol Of May Dreams, founder of Bloom Day, competitive rule maker and garden geek analyzer would have for the gardener who can readily steal Bloom Day worthy pictures from just going about their ordinary everyday life?

6 comments:

Lola said...

And with good reason for the mind to be full.
That is quite the pic on the wall.
A deep blue. You gotta love that color. I really like that color but not the whole house.
Wonderful sunset. Good viewing sitting on Blue Ridge very early in the A.M.
It doesn't appear that you found what you were looking for. Maybe next time.

Dianne said...

Tell me, tell me, what is the bush on picture 4? Though I live close to Asheville, I rarely go. Shame on me.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Intersting stroll through Asheville. Gotta love that BLUE house. It seems they need some of those Blue wine bottles in the garden.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola we actually saw several good possibilities. We now decide which owners to try and contact.

Dianne that is a Lacecap Hydrangea. Mark your calender now for September 10th and come to the West Asheville Garden Stroll.

Lisa I agree. A little more intense BLUE accents would really help the ambiance of that house.

scottweberpdx said...

Now those are so great gardens...looks like they will make a very promising garden tour!

Helen said...

Those look like my kind of gardens. It's amazing how good that rich shade of blue looks in a garden setting, isn't it. I've wanted to paint something blue for years, but can never make up my mind what to paint! Happy Blooms Day!