Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Horses I Work For

Well they like the new pasture I seeded for them. In only a couple of weeks after the fence came down they have eaten the tall, lush, new grass down to the nub, ignoring the older portion of the pasture. There are one too many horses for the grass that is available.



Today I helped move fence to bring the second pasture expansion into the horse's domain. The goats got screwed. Parts of this new section are less developed than this part that they have already eaten down to the nub. There are one too many horses for the grass that is available.

It is near dark by the time I get home these days. The horses keep me busy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Golly, a man of many talents! Sounds like someone is not listening to the statement, 'there are one too many horses for the grass that is available.'
Clients, sigh....

bev

Dianne said...

They need some hay. That will slow them down. I feed mine grain as well. I have six on about 8 acres.
A big roll of hay inside a horse hay ring will last over a week. My horse pastures never get bare. You can check out my blog.

Yes, you are a man of many talents.

Christopher C. NC said...

Bev I am actually enjoying learning how to be a farm hand. I think there might have been a buy two get one free sale when they bought the horses.

Dianne I was hoping you'd have something to say. They get hay daily. No grains that I know of. The total pasture is a bit over two acres by my estimate and I read you need an acre and a half per horse for best pasture maintenance. I've seen your horses.

Dianne said...

Yep, horses are pretty cheap. People are just abandoning them because they can't afford them. Breaks my heart. That is how I got the last two, starved. Why don't they put the goats and horses together? It works. The goats will be buddies, and I think they eat different grasses. I wanted goats, but luckily my husband talked me out of it. They will strip a pasture much quicker than a horse.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Are you feeling like a Cowboy?? What fun. I love horses. Around here the put goats with horses. They eat weeds that horses won't eat and or shouldn't eat. Of course it puts more pressure on the grass that horses do eat. Yippee io kyay.