Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Now Sit

Of course when I was down there on the freshly mowed Great Lawn yesterday looking up at the garden becoming, surrounded by the Lush in all directions as far as the eye could see, I thought, this is a nice view. You need a bench down here.

Bench? Well. The ground is soft and sloped. To put a bench down here I'll need a proper little patio. A patio will need a proper base and it should preferably be round I think. What will I make it with? When could I get around to doing that so I can have a bench down on the Great Lawn?

Not any time soon that's for sure.





















Then they fell from the sky, two benches, not just one. Not the proper bench like I had in mind, but benches none the less. This will certainly do until a proper patio for a proper bench can be built.





















The idea of course is that I should sit and smell the lilies of the garden, to relax and enjoy the beauty of my labors. It's a nice idea. Putting it into practice is a whole other matter.





















Even these rustic benches give the Great Lawn a stronger focal point, drawing you in and making the space look more like a destination. I'll watch and see what happens next time garden visitors arrive.





















The Invisible Art Installation still amuses me to no end.





















Having a fire is a good way to induce sitting. I'll probably do that soon since the rubbish pile is messing with the garden's aesthetics. A burn spot would be more attractive.





















The garden is becoming more so every day.





















And the weed whacking is obviously a crucial component to providing definition in the Lush, to inducing the notion of a garden. Without that negative space it is one giant morass. And yes a few weed flowers were sacrificed in mowing a path through the Lush. It is painful but necessary if I am to derive any sense of order and calm among all this exuberant chaos.





















A garden is trying to be born. I can even sit in the garden now.





















When I'm not pulling weeds.

6 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The benches are perfect additions to your garden. There is so much here that you need to be able to sit and look. That way you can see things that you wouldn't just rushing through the garden. Besides the gardener needs to sit and have a look in a different perspective. One needs time to contemplate. Even when the weeds are calling to be pulled.

Dianne said...

like the benches. They tell you to sit and enjoy. Have your mountain laurel, and I am using the local name, started blooming? I thought the cold had gotten them, but they started blooming about a week ago and still have not hit their peak. Crazy weather!

Rebecca said...

What a great & perfectly suited addition to your evolving gardens! I find that when I DO sit & take in the view, I have fresh inspiration & ideas (as well as seeing even MORE that needs to be done)!

Commonweeder said...

I love the benches and the viewing spot. The thing about gardens is they are always growing with many intermediate steps along the way.

Lola said...

I love, love, love it. The benches are sure an asset to the garden. One must take time to sit. Maybe a good cup of joe.

Cheryl K. said...

Winnie the Pooh said Everyone Needs a Thoughtful Spot. You have just found yours.