Thursday, March 6, 2014

Chores Before A Wintery Mix

The rubbish needs to be hidden. The Coral Honeysuckle vine sprawled on the ground needs support. I suppose I could just haul the rubbish away, and I will eventually, but it keeps piling up back there no matter what. We need a hiding place and the vine needs a support.

The cheap ugly lattice held in place by stacks of cinder block that previously accomplished this was no longer acceptable. It had to go. Time for something new.





















I got started digging post holes with an eyeball level of the trellis posts. I'll use a real level when I set them in cement boots. The plan is to have horizontal boards of different widths between the two posts alternating between the front and back of the posts for an open kind of weave the Coral Honeysuckle vine can grow through.

Once it is built it will be painted. This new trellis is behind the neon yellow arbor and the big blue pot. What color should we paint it?





















It was a might chilly today with a wintery mix headed our way. I wasn't about to get deeply involved in a small construction project. After the posts were set in place I started a little forest cleaning. I did some prune and drop in the forest edge along the east side of the drive. Dead hemlocks, dead branches, unwanted tree seedlings and suckers were removed.

The forest is messy. It can use a good tidying.





















I tell myself I'm just cleaning it up to make it look better. But I know what this will lead to: Garden Expansion. And low and behold, when I went next door for supper two small Witch Hazels were sitting on the front porch that had been bought as a birthday gift for me. Well, I have a newly tidied section of forest were they will fit in quite nicely.





















That burn spot was the last grass standing in the sunny utility meadow. My what a thoroughly satisfying way to clean something up. Put a lighter to it and poof, it is gone. No rubbish to deal with. Now this only works if there is nothing close by that can be damaged by an amazingly fast and intense fire.





















The wintery mix finally arrived with the mix. It has since turned to wind and thick rain.





















Bit by bit a garden turns towards spring. It's cold thick rain, not snow.

1 comment:

Lola said...

Good start on the vine holder. It will look much better. Rain is good. It refreshes all. Too much here as all is wet.