Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Back To Twin Falls Pond

My mud hole thawed out. It did not dry out. There was a foot of water in there when I got back to the pond rebuild project.

The main skimmer that will house the pump is in place. That other tall black box on the left is for the sump pump. I will need it for overflow since I can't gravity drain a pond in a stone bowl.





















I removed and redid the rubber liner that captures the top layer of the spring. I did not plan ahead on the first try and ended up with two pieces of liner that would have needed to be glued together. I pulled it and redid did it with one piece. Better not to have a seam that needs joining. That spring is a slow dribble, but it fills the pond full in about 24 hours, another reason for the sump pump over flow catch basin.



























First goes the skimmers and piping. Then the pond will get a cushioning underlayment and a liner with some heavy stones in the bottom to prevent it from floating on the water that will live below. I tried everything I could think of, but could never get rid of the water in the bottom of my mud hole. I am building a pond on top of a pond.

Once that is done, the spring will fill it up and I can see how the sump pump drain works with the desired pond level. Then it will be time to rebuild the twin falls.

Last come the rocks. Then comes the baby fishes and greenery.





















I'd rather be looking at crocus than digging in a mud hole, even if they remained closed on a wet and icky day. It rained enough on my side of the county that the creeks were running high. At work on the other side of the county, it didn't rain real rain until about two in the afternoon.





















That is for the best. I need to work. There has also been an expressed concern that my pond building be done so it won't interfere with the all the spring planting that needs to be done at the Posh Estate #2. I didn't say it should wait until the first of May or just maybe it would be wise to wait until all the construction dudes are done digging trenches through my new flowerbeds.

There has been a bit of damage already and I have had to move things I planted last fall out of the way. Oh well.

I can see undisturbed crocus when I get home.





















And the long frilly petals of 'Arnold's Promise' dangling fresh raindrops.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

A pond on top of a pond.....that's hydro-engineering for sure. You are multitalented and creative. Can't wait to see the finished project with the greenery and flowers!