Friday, March 27, 2015

Then It Snowed

A big box of summer blooming roots and tubers arrived that needed to be planted in my stomped through beds. There were dahlias, begonia, calla lily, gladiolas, astilbe and crocosmia.

I'm still not willing to discuss what the construction worker dudes have been doing to my new beds. I think it is plain to see.

Every thing but the crocosmia got planted. I have a whole new bed in mind for that and need to discuss it with the Lady of the House. I did wait until the major stomping was done. Now if they can just confine themselves to the paths and keep their debris out of the beds all will be well. I'll have a word with the fence painter when I see him just to make things clear.





















The summer roots and tubers were planted and then it started to snow. Someone's diagnosis was slightly off apparently.

This new bed's fate is unknown. The construction is the base for a wedding gazebo. It will have two side walls on either side parallel to the wall in the foreground and fill will be brought in to level the lawn area. The lawn's fate is also unknown. It may become a stone patio for church pews. An extra wide aisle for the bride has to lead up to the gazebo some how.

This new bed will have some adjustments coming for sure.





















I think the new beds on the view side of the house are pretty safe, minus the current losses, as long as the railing builders and painters don't have any accidents.

The Posh Estate #2 has a name and it's own website. The Inn at Tranquility Farm is going to be a distinctive and unique event venue and lodging destination situated in the peaceful Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina. With over 60 acres of land, Tranquility Farm offers an exclusive, elegant and exceptional back drop for your special event or wedding day.

I will be the gardener in the background.





















And the head operating technician of fisheries and pond scum.

It was a might too cold to be gluing stiff pipe and filter falls together. The second fall will have to wait for a day when it is not snowing. I did spend some quality time organizing my rocks and tidying up the area. I work better in tidy.





















It is a close to finished pond, rebuild wise. The pretty comes after the construction, usually. I've been stirring up the water to get the dirt that fell in moving so the filters will clean it up when I have it running. I want my baby fishes to have clear clean water.





















Back home on the mountain top the hellebores are blooming well. Then it snowed. And it is going to get cold, as in the lower 20's. Helleborus flowers do not do well with that. I expect they will be toast.





















It was nice while it lasted.





















Will it be a crushing snow? Daffodils will actually lie down when it gets real cold and stand back up when it warms. Heavy snow can snap the stems though and then they can't get back up.





















We have plenty of daffodils in reserve just in case things go bad.





















Even the trilliums will do a wilt and lie down routine in the cold. Most of them have not even made an appearance yet so they are safe for now.



























What will the garden look like in the morning? The snow started twelve hours earlier than indicated. Will it be over sooner or will there be more than expected?

I'm not in charge so I'll just have to wait and find out.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never seen Helleborous. Think they are the early ephemerals. Do they grow wild or must they be planted?

Christopher C. NC said...

Hellebores are a cultivated plant that the breeders have been going nuts with of late making all kinds of incredible new flower colors and forms. They bloom early with the bulbs. They also seed like mad and will be turning wild/invasive before long.