Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Asters For Bloom Day

I have a few things blooming for Bloom Day. Maybe more than a few. Maybe September's Bloom Day is the big bang of all Bloom Days.





















There are all kinds of flowers tucked in around the feet of the Tall Flower Meadow. This hardy begonia is making a valiant attempt to spread and be bountiful. It would have more success if I was a bit more ruthless about editing around it.



























The asters have begun. It will be another ten days or so before they are at peak bloom. This is the Frost Aster, Symphyotrichum pilosum.



























The Boneset, Eupatorium perfoliatum, is still going strong.





















The Joe Pye is fading, but still looking good and adding a great deal of color to the meadow. There is some goldenrod about, four species at least.





















The Blue Wood Aster, Symphyotrichum cordifolium, is my favorite aster simply for the blue color. Flower size and form wise it isn't much different from all the other asters.





















There is so much of the Blue Wood Aster the mountain top turns blue.





















The White Wood Aster, Eurybia divaricata, is not quite as abundant. That means there is plenty.





















The grasses are blooming. They have nice color and a certain amount of charm even though you can't really call them showy. They take on a much more important role in the winter when all else is gone. The faded bloom spikes of the grasses remain to dance with the snow and cold all winter long. It gets me through the winter. That is important.

This is but a small sampling of what is blooming right now in the middle of September. You would need to visit to take it all in. Meanwhile you can visit Bloom Day headquarters at May Dreams Gardens for more flowers from around the world.


5 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I don't know how you keep straight which aster is which. I have a wild one in my garden. I think I have pulled it all out every year and it reappears. I just decided to let it go this year. Maybe it will bloom itself out. Happy GBBD.

beverly said...

Wow, gives new meaning to 'peak bloom'.

Lea said...

Love all those Asters!

Lola said...

Love that blue in the garden. Happy Bloom Day. Love it all.

Swimray said...

I don't know . . . I think your grasses in the photo are showy.
Ray