Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Some More Winter

It is going to start getting cold tomorrow. Could be as many as four days in the 30/20 range. It's about time. January is almost over. There is even a slim chance of snow.





















There is no going back at this point though. The daffodils are rising. The temperatures now will just determine if that continues quickly or slowly. I have yet to spot the first crocus so things are not wildly out of whack.





















I expect to see the first blooms in the garden in January no matter what winter is doing. I planted it so.





















The Under Garden has also reached a point of growth were it will be a colorful part of winter from now on. I was most happy to see that in this year's reveal. In a couple more weeks some new plantings will be done for the winter Under Garden to kick it up a notch. The real results of that won't be known until the end of the year.




















As the chop and drop spreads further out from the front porch, the grasses will be the last things left standing.




















I need to get busy. The bulbs are off to an early start this year.





















If the sun is out and the wind is not blowing I can do some chop and drop in almost 40 degrees. That is good enough for the Witch Hazels. Otherwise it may be nap time. Or tax time.





















Will the cold be the end of 'Jelena'? I have no idea if these blooms try to hold on until pollination happens and finally age out if it doesn't. They last for a good long time I know that. I can't say I have seen much in the way of activity around them. The bugs are few and far between right now.





















This is the time of the snowdrops. More are waking by the day. It was actually warm enough for some to open today, a freakish 68 degrees at 4000 feet on January 25th. The crocus will be here soon.


2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

My tiny snowdrop patch is blooming now too. I do have crocus greens up. It is turning cold again. Winter is not done with us yet.

Jordi said...

Dear

I am Jordi López-Pujol, a botanist from Barcelona, Spain. I found in your blog a picture of what seems Lilium lancifolium(http://outsideclyde.blogspot.com.es/2007/08/short-hike-on-blue-ridge.html), a plant we are studying at present. It would be nice if you can indicate me the exact location of these plants (I am gathering locations of L. lancifolium from all the world). Also, it would be excellent if you can send me closer pictures, to make sure that the plant is actually L. lancifolium. You can send me the details to jlopezpu@gmail.com.

Thanks!