Monday, October 29, 2007

The Day After

When I went outside this morning it did not feel particularly frosty. I looked at two thermometers and they both hovered around 32 degrees. I didn't see anything suspicious. I figured oh well we missed the first frost by one degree of separation.


















I had to go to town though to get insulation stripping for the well head and "the wrong kind" of drill bit (rats) and when I pulled out of the driveway there it was. A white frosting across the highway at the neighbors.















Apparently it takes a lawn to have your first frost.
















The green pastures in the two valleys below for the next eight miles were covered in frost. It was a lovely site. I should have stopped to try and take a scenic shot, but after I had passed the slow moving farm tractor on the highway I did not want to get behind him again.

Back home the sunny utility meadow of botanical delights is really going to seed.



















Another one of the fern species thriving in the forest interior did not seem in the least bit phased. I really do not think it frosted beneath the trees.















This Aster was seen in its prime in a previous post it seems like two months ago. When I have some time I should go back and look at the date on that post to see just how long these flowers have lasted. They are certainly past peak, but are still showy in a faded kind of way.
















And another one of the fern species growing in the forest. It reminds me of the Resurrection Ferns that grow on the limbs of Live Oaks in the deep south. It would not surprise me if they are in the same genus.














One of the Goldenrods now white and fuzzy.















We managed to get the ledgers for the front porch on despite my getting the wrong drill bit. It just added an extra step of marking the porch posts and facing board on the house with a pencil through the first drill hole, taking the ledgers down, drilling a second hole, putting the ledgers back up and screwing in the screws in the holes, which praise knob, lined up.














We are building to make this cabin last, to stand up to hurricane force winds and the occasional earthquake. It seems not so long ago, less than ten years, there was a quake with an epicenter about fifteen miles from here.



















Soon the colorful leaves will be over. I will have to move on to new images.















I don't believe I have ever really taken full notice of the seed heads of Goldenrod. In a way I am surprised by the fluffy white aerial dispersal mechanism for these seeds. I don't know what I was expecting.














The Colorful Leaves are finishing up the falling













The Frosty Leaves














Will return again tomorrow with more of a vengeance.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a nice tour of your garden, which is really Mother Nature's garden right now. Lovely!

Christopher, it occurs to me to wonder what you are living in right now, until your cozy cabin is finished. It's getting cold up there.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Did you ever notice that those Goldenrod seedheads kind of look like snow? (Oh, no, I'm channelling Andy Rooney!) You have beautiful fall foliage colors.

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Again, such beautiful photography and may I add, a great attitude and perspective about living in a cold climate.
I don't know if I could go back to living in a cold climate again after living in temperate Northern California for the past twenty years or so.
I really like a mild climate with not much fluctuation. .. makes it easy on wardrobe , not to mention the home heating bills too.
I leave for tropical Hawaii in a day or so and I am so looking forward to a warm tropical breeze and a swim in the warm Pacific O.
Mahalo

Christopher C. NC said...

Pam I am living in the luxury basement accomodations at the resident gardeners house which is on the 11.5 acre parcel of land here. Once the leaves are finished falling we will know if the two houses will be in view of each other for at least part of the year. Of course for that part of the year the resident gardeners will be snug and warm in North Florida.

MMG, yes that thought occurred to me. I don't want to rush it, but I am looking forward to the beauty of the first snow. The rumour is it doesn't stick for long in these parts. Now about driving in it. I did it before so I can do it again.

Aloha Ms. Michelle. Have fun in Kauai. Go to the Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden and take pics.

I think I was ready for a change. My wardrobe certainly was not. It is just so darn beautiful here, how could I not like it. After living in a tropical desert for twenty years having weather is kind of fun.

lisa said...

I love your pictures, especially the ones of the frost! Like Cheryl Crowe says, "A change would do you good"!