Thursday, October 4, 2007

Grand Visions

A sweet rain has returned with the resident gardeners and I finished the last of my Heavy Duty Masonry Coating on the tall columns, protected from the rain underneath the floor of the house.














The space under the cabin is too good to waste and I just went along thinking it would end up as a handy storage area. These columns however have generated a whole new idea. They are a major architectural feature with a looming presence. They too are to good to waste.

I stuccoed, protected from the rain with plenty of headroom between the scaffolding to stand up, looking out over the sunny utility valley of future botanical delights and a patio was born.














A sunny south west facing patio that I could extend under the house for an enjoyable place to relax and view the lower gardens even when it should rain or if you needed some respite from the sun.














In this building lull while we choose the exact windows to buy in order to have the correct dimensions for the wall framing, I have gotten busy moving dirt under the cabin and removing the scaffolding with a new vision in mind for a grand stone patio.















A short retaining wall, possibly a stuccoed hollow tile wall to match the columns will need to be built about five feet behind the columns under the cabin. Then a stone wall, maybe with a curve, using all the stones on site will be built eight to ten feet in front of the columns. In between will be the level stone floor of the patio.














The rock that sits directly between the second and third column is the rough grade of a 15x27 patio floor. That means there is a lot of dirt to move before footings for walls can be done. Just what I need another fancy idea with no money to do it, only plenty of time and my own labor.

Can you see it?

7 comments:

chuck b. said...

Sounds great! I can't see it, but I'm sure it's gonna rock.

Anonymous said...

Excellent plan! Those columns do demand something around them; they are quite elegant. I hope your back holds up.

Anonymous said...

I think it is a great plan. Did you say this area would be sunny? Maybe vines around the columns? Lots of possibilities. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.

Annie in Austin said...

It sounds good to me, too - a place to watch rain fall without getting drenched is a great thing for a gardener.

And you'll have columns instead of the standard wooden posts, Christopher.... this will be fun for your readers!

Annie

Christopher C. NC said...

Yes Annie fun for the readers and exercise for me.

I have been digging footings for the lower wall thinking it may be better to have a wall in place before I move the dirt downhill. I think it needs to be twice as wide as I have dug it so far. I was moving kind of slow today.

And of course now Phillip there have been visions of a vine covered pergola with columns rising from the lower wall and attached to the floor joist bonding beam on the cabin.

And pocket gardens could be created in the patio floor around some of the massive boulders placed there for a zen like effect.

This could all take some time.

More lumber should be arriving on tuesday and house building will resume.

Annie in Austin said...

Just what you need Christopher, here's another idea:

People on the Hypertufa forum at GardenRant were talking about a Mother Earth News article about Earth Art- it showed up on google as "Get Muddy - Make Earth Art". A blend of mud, straw, fibers, etc. was used for interior walls, but maybe it could work in a protected area outside if some cement were mixed in?

When you mentioned making lower walls the article came to mind.

Annie

Anonymous said...

I can see it! It looks fabulous! You will be so strong!