Friday, October 12, 2007

Fertile Ground

Looking down on layers of texture from above. Golden leaves rest in Juniper. Silver Lamium, Lamium maculatum carpets the soil, profusely in many places. Blue Aster, well it is just every where now.















A late appearance by a double petaled, deep pink Anemone, an unknown cultivar.













Things can just pop up from seeds or plants placed some time ago and left to see what they may produce.

I applied for another job today at an empty office after phoning and e-mailing a resume the day before. If this outfit is like another to which I applied three times, responding to ongoing ads in various publications, I will not hear a peep out of them. No response. No e-mail, no letter, no call, no thank you for applying. Nada. Is this how things are done in the business world? Is being ignored better than outright rejection?













This evening the phone rang and the voice on the other end, who I had met at the Speaking of Gardening seminar, said I have a job for you. Are you interested? So tomorrow I have a meeting with a potential first client, right here in Clyde, and my career as a self employed Landscape Gardener and Designer may resume, much like it began on Maui twenty years ago, some what by happenstance and from planting a few seeds in fertile ground. We'll see.


Update October 13th: I have my first client in North Carolina. A beautiful well designed landscape at a professional office building with a pond, stunning specimen plants and perennial beds. It has been a bit neglected in the last year since the longtime gardener left and needs some TLC.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christopher;

That sounds like a promising lead! The old saying really holds true; it's not what you know, but who you know. (of course, knowing the "what" also helps to keep the "who's" coming.)
Best of luck and hope this gets you started.

And yes, I have heard many complaints about hearing absolutely nothing from companies. You'd think they'd have some courtesy, but maybe it's just an indicator that you didn't want to work for them anyway.

Annie in Austin said...

The timing sounds good, too, Christopher. You've made a lot of progress with the building and you're feeling at ease with the NC plants.

Thanks for telling us,

Annie

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with the new job!

Christopher C. NC said...

Thanks for the good wishes. There was talk of the upscale clientel at this office leading to other jobs, but..... we'll see where this goes.

Maybe I just got my moonlighting job first.

chuck b. said...

Jobs always lead to other jobs. Congratulations--I'm raising a hot cup of coffee to you!

Will you be able to show us pictures, or would that be uncool? No, you can show us pictures.

lisa said...

Congratulations! So is that anemone something you planted, or did it just come up?

Christopher C. NC said...

First I need to make myself indespensible before I start posting pics of my new job Chuck.

Lisa I am mostly the international observer in this garden. The resident gardeners planted the Anemone. Mostly they just plant more stuff and let things be. They like to wander out on the mountain and discover things.