Wednesday, January 23, 2008

None The Worse For The Wear

I will do most anything to avoid sweeping and vacuuming the floor, even try to fix a crashed computer. Mostly I have been trying to get all the pictures from this summer and fall off the crashed computer on to a CD so I can just reload the operating system and not worry about losing them which is a very real possibility, but the stinking computer will not let me burn a CD in safe mode, the only way I can get the crashed computer on. E-mailing the hundreds of full size images to myself would be a long and tedious process.

It is not going well. Time to call my nephew.













It looks as if the Daffodils barely even noticed the snow and the bitter cold that froze the pipes. The snow cover itself, now mostly gone, is supposed to help I have heard. Taking strolls away from the computer is helpful too and I am spotting more and more patches of bulbs peaking up through the leaf litter in the resident gardeners acre of planted ground.














And this must be the Snowdrops to the right of the steps I have been told to look for. I was looking at the top of the steps not the bottom.
















Other chores can get me out of the house and away from the computer, out into the fresh air. It was sorta warm enough to start cutting up the trees that fell and just missed smashing the big blue pot. It is something to do while I wait for the basement patio to finish melting, dry up and thaw out. A stack of firewood grows. A new chain for the saw is needed before I feel like cutting into the bigger stuff. I'm only willing to be aggravated by poorly performing machines for short periods of time.













Fog sat in the Pigeon River Valley, the I-40 corridor, all day long. That is Mt. Sterling in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the horizon. I am still learning where and what things are around here.














At least I think that is Mt. Sterling at 5,842 feet above sea level. I just noticed the "terrain" and "satellite" buttons on Google maps today. Cool.

5 comments:

Carol Michel said...

It's nice to see some early signs of spring, those do indeed look like snowdrops.

My computer went out last year, but I was fortunate to get it to boot up so I could copy most of the files to an external hard drive. Good luck on that.

Frances, said...

Hopes of spring while in the depths of computer doldrums. Even non crashed computers can make one want to tear her hair out. Good thoughts are being sent your way.

Anonymous said...

Ugh. My home computer crashed last December, and with help I received about 90% of my images. It wasn't fun - I hope you were able to save them. (And I hope you are staying warm).

chuck b. said...

I pay for a Mozy back-up. I don't want to lose more than I've already lost. Which is considerable.

Your daffodils are at least a month ahead of mine. I hate you!

No, I don't! :) Are your daffodils new? or naturalized?

Christopher C. NC said...

Chuck after 30 years of gardening on this mountain I'd say those daffodils are naturalized. Freshly planted ones don't come up in such tight big clumps.

My next step to save my pictures is looking into a USB key/drive removable storage thingy or I could buy more storage on Google and upload them all to Picasa, my idea from this morning.