Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Rocksicles

I have a new respect for frozen ground. Getting back to digging a footing for the second wall of the basement patio after two days of cold and wind I found that the frozen ground does not want to give up its cold easily or quickly. The top three inches of soil closely resembled stone in its consistency. Breaking through to the unfrozen ground beneath was a chore.

This was the "warm" day before the snow storm that is arriving tonight as I type and another round of mega cold for the week. I have plenty more digging to do to be able to place the gravel for the footing of the wall and a base for the floor. The top level of the gravel will be the same height for both. Which means I really should dig out the floor to the proper depth well away from the face of the wall at least, so I can place all the gravel at once. Otherwise I will be undermining my footing for the wall if I go back and dig the floor later. I figured this all out while I was measuring things.



















If my trench digging today is any indication I will not be doing any digging for the floor or the wall any time soon. It is about to be covered in one to three inches of snow and frozen even deeper most likely.















I'm planning to have six feet nine inches clearance below the main girders of the cabin which will make the height underneath the cabin to the insulated and covered floor joists seven feet five inches. I got plenty dirt to move yet.

With all the rocks I have collected in the excavation sitting out in the elements for free washing purposes I will dig everything to the proper depth behind the columns, fill with gravel, compact it, build the second wall, then dig out the front floor level once all the rocks are gone.



















Maybe I can work on my snake sculpture a bit during this period of rocksicles.

4 comments:

Frances, said...

Looks like cold, hard work, maybe not the snake sculpture, this should build your character to the moon, since hard work under harsh conditions is so very character building, I've been told.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are really a glutton for punishment! It's winter, man; read some seed catalogues like the rest of us! (:

Christopher C. NC said...

I just may have to read some seed catalogs this week and look at my new book in more depth. I never ordered things online or from catalogs in Hawaii. There were a lot of restrictions on importation and too much free stuff to keep me busy.

Sitting still is difficult for me at times too. I know tomorrow I will be out in the new snow.

chuck b. said...

Annually frozen ground is good for growing vegetables, I've been reading. Apparently, the deep freeze kills pathogens that would otherwise live from year to year and eventually lead to declining productivity. In my case, I will have to cross that bridge when I get to it. Are you going to try some vegetables? Did you grow vegetables in Hawaii? I don't recall you ever mentioning it.