Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Round Two

It looked like a pleasant enough day to begin with, but something was lurking on the horizon.



A little stroll was in order to look at the progress of the Hardie Plank siding on the cozy cabin. This also gives me a chance to evaluate how the weather effects the cabin and the site in general.

There are sliding snowbergs on this steep roof. It wouldn't be prudent to plant anything directly under the fall. One thing already under the fall is the electric meter can. I think it is going to need a decorative mini-roof to protect it from the rain and snow that flows off the roof.



By mid-afternoon the horizon was moving in closer and it was feeling colder inside the house. A thermometer check of my new Weather Channel wireless indoor/outdoor weather station confirmed the indoor temperature was dropping. Is that cold air coming out of the furnace vent?



Oh crap, the propane tank is completely empty. It is 3:50 pm and the second round of snow is a commin'. No heat, no stove, no hot water. Oh Lord!



Yes they can deliver some propane to me today. Can we get to you? If you come now, the road is clear and there is only two inches of snow on the driveway.

The snow really started coming down as the gas truck driver pulled out. I was saved.

Added Later:
Then the power went out. Which meant no heat, no hot water, no water at all actually. I thought surely I was gonna die.

9 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Oh my gosh. I think you should have them fill the tank regularly. It would be awful to run out and not be able to keep warm.

You must be careful when you are at the cozy cabin when the snowbergs begin to fall. They could conk you out.

Beautiful photos.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa, out in the boonies they kind of make you get the largest tank they have. Before I moved here and heated the house all winter, a full tank of gas could last two years. Now it is more in the nine month range.

Now if I had just paid attention to that voice in my head all last week that kept saying,"Check the propane tank."

Anonymous said...

Oh Christopher, you are so good at being scary. Thank goodness they could get to you the same day. And that you noticed it was getting colder while it was still daytime. And before the big snowfall. Living on the edge.
Frances

Anonymous said...

You do like adventure don't you? That sure was scary, but glad they did bring you gas. It is no fun being without heat. Believe me I know from experience. Plus there was 18" of snow on the ground. Brrrrr.
Do stay warm & the spots also.
Almost forgot--I like the siding. You are coming along with it. Getting cozier all the time.

Anonymous said...

You are too funny! I am sure glad the gas company was able to come and fill the tank same day. I call that "mountain service"!

lisa said...

Heh, I can actually relate to your perilous story, I had a propane setup when I first moved here. I'm glad it all worked out reasonably well...what did you do to stay warm after the power was out? Sounds like you could use a (well-ventilated) potbelly stove to burn some wood in as a backup. (And gas-saver!)

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others; been there done that. That is scary, isn't it? A fireplace or stove is a lifesaver in those predicaments. The good news is your cabin roof pitch looks like a good snow-shedder and it's great to be able to observe these things happen BEFORE you plant. I still remember a story I read years ago about someone's prized mature yak rhododendron being split in two by a roof ice-fall; they were heartbroken.

bev

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I hope the power was not out too long. That has happened to us twice this winter. Not fun!

Christopher C. NC said...

The power was only out for about an hour last night. When I called and finally got through to a recorded message, I could tell from the service areas that were out that someone must have taken out a pole on Hwy 209.

The fireplace is always plan B, but it heats the house very unevenly and makes the luxury basement colder so I don't like to use it much.