Thursday, February 18, 2010

It Is Over

For now.



The sun came out and a melt has commenced.



The tongue and groove ceiling is complete except for the last board that goes in the peak. First some kind of something needs to be fastened to the roof structure to provide stable support for a ceiling fan. Then the final board will have the edges cut at 45 degree angles and the board will sit flat in the peak for the base of the fan. That will require some figuring and maybe even a decision on a fan. For now the ceiling is done.



Ignore the plywood sheet sitting in the rafters. That is not a permanent feature. It is really looking like a home now.



For now it is done. A construction holiday is in order. I will have the next week to prepare for the arrival of the resident gardeners and my own needed visit to Maui. There may even be some time to squeeze in some spring cleaning at Client #1's before I go if the weathers stick with this melting trend. And just maybe it might even be possible to paint the long exterior wall of the cabin. Maybe. The temperatures need to be just right.



There is a lot of snow that needs to go so Bulbarella can check on her 10,000 daffodils and equal number of minor bulbs for the Bulbapaloozathon to come. Maybe by the time I get back the first crocus will be blooming.



The snow pack better be gone.

But it ain't over. I know better than that. It can snow here all the way to the first of May. That is fine as long as the snow and cold has the good manners not to linger. It is time for the return of a proper southern winter.



Y'all are probably very tired of snow pictures by now.



Wouldn't it be nice to see some brown leaf covered ground with green hints of 10,000 emerging daffodil bulbs.

11 comments:

chuck b. said...

Yes, I think that would be very nice indeed.

thistleandthorn said...

Christopher, I'm confused. I thought you were the resident gardener.
My I as whether Bulbapalooza is a family member?
Just trying to put some pieces together from what I might have missed...
Your pictures are never boring, no matter what they are.

Christopher C. NC said...

Chuck at the very least there will be a tropical interlude.

TandT the resident gardeners are my parents plural. Bulbarella is my mother. The Building Contractor is my father. I was enticed to move here from Maui to live on a portion of the land as an early inheritance. They winter in Florida at the house where my mother was born and that my grandfather built. Their habit has been to come up here in March for a week or so to spread a noxious pre-emergent herbicide to knock back the Jewelweed, Impatiens pallida that can take over the ridge top garden. Then they go back to Florida til it really warms up. I just scheduled my trip at their normal March visit so the kitties could be looked after.

Les said...

I would rather be tired of snow pictures (but I am not) than to be tired of the real thing.

Lola said...

I never get tired of your pics. Your camera are eyes for me.

lisa said...

Bulbs would be a very welcome sight (even if it's not in MY yard :)

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! Your pictures and words are always amusing. Although I love your flowers and landscape pictures, Your snow pictures are beautiful. I know very soon you will be posting beautiful photos from your well deserved vacation! I do think it would be very nice if it all melted very soon for your sake as I am sure you are sick and tired of all that snow! At least it has kept you indoors and your cozy cabin is looking spectacular! Have fun getting ready for your trip!...and enjoy the upcoming warmer weather on your mountain.

Anonymous said...

Boo hoo, so who will count the clumps of daffodils and post pics of them while you are gone?
Sallysmom

Anonymous said...

The ceiling looks great!
The snow is melting!
You are going to Maui!
Spring is coming!
Does life get any better than this?!

bev

Gail said...

I am not tired of snow photos at all Christopher...but I am tired of winter and wish for a return to our 'normal' temperatures! The cabin looks wonderful...gail

Diane said...

Bulbapaloozathon... hahaha!

Our snow is rapidly melting but now they're saying we're getting more in a few days. It's a race to see if the snowdrops can emerge before they get buried again.

You are planning on posting pics while you're in Maui, right??