Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Vernal Clock

This is about the time I start thinking, weren't the daffodils further along last year at this time. Shouldn't there be more bulbs coming up. There were more sunny warm days weren't there.

There certainly wasn't this much snow on the ground hanging around forever and refusing to melt last year. As it stands now I have no way of knowing what the daffodils might be doing. I can go back in time on the blog and again to my dismay, nope things are right on schedule.

My vernal clock is still not set to this climate.



Another round of winter is upon us. It is this awful wintry mix. Rain is fine. Snow is fine. Sleet is fine. Freezing rain is not fine and that is what it is attempting to do right at this moment. The diagnosis calls for this indecisive hodge podge of chilled precipitation through Saturday. I much prefer a committed form of precipitation. Pick something and stick with it for heaven's sake, just not freezing rain please.

I dream of a warm sunny spring day when I can sit out on the basement patio and bask in the sun. What do you think? Should I go for the Haint Blue ceiling?



The largest boulder in this lineup fell over. I think it was from the freeze thaw movement of the soil. I will have to plant them deeper as the patio floor takes final shape. The intent is to have a planting pocket around them. A more stable gravel base could be placed directly under the boulders as well.

There is a mighty thump too when the snow slides off the roof in one solid sheet. I am going to look into some decorative thin metal spikes that I could attach to the roof to try and break up the snow some before it falls.



Memories of warmth recede further and further from consciousness. It is getting to the point where I can step outside in temperatures below forty and feel comfortable in less and less layers of clothes. Briefly mind you, but that would have been impossible not so long ago.

A load of lumber was walked down a snow covered driveway. Most of the loft still needs the first coat of primer. There will be plenty to do during the wintry mix inside a warm cozy cabin.



The freezing rain has turned to snow and memories of warmth remain distant dreams.

10 comments:

Siria said...

Love your post! Keep warm and safe and I am sending you postitive vibes to keep the pipes flowing and power in place! Glad to hear your have lots to keep you busy inside this weekend.

chuck b. said...

I can't even imagine what all these different forms of precipitation are. Sleet? Frozen rain? Huh? Then again, I've only seen snow, um, three times in my life.

I'm totally thumbs up with Haint Blue. Obviously you want a warmer color in winter (or just not to be outside at all), but in summer, when you are outside, that blue will be lovely. But I'm also loving the look of the unpainted wood. Maybe you wait a year to paint. The wood won't be nice-looking forever.

sweetbay said...

Haint Blue would look good.

This weather sucks. Right now I would take snow over rain, as my pastures are all like shallow lakes. Freezing rain is the pits.

Lola said...

I don't mind any of that except the freezing rain. Don't want any part of that.
It won't be long before your memories will be awakened with new warmth.
I was sitting here looking at your patio & I agree with the blue. I see a lot of red being brought out by the red post. Almost to much of a red palette.
I agree the above activity must be a result of a special someone being looked for. Be careful.
So glad you got more t&g even if you had to convey it by hand.

Christopher C. NC said...

Siria the pipes are good because it is the steady 30ish temps causing this awful mix. yes i will be warm and dry inside the cabin making progress.

Chuck I think you need to go skiing. Yea that wood is a cheap plywood sheet product and with all the wet we have it would turn green on its own if I don't paint it. Maybe I can find a warm Haint Blue. It is not a single color so much as a color range.

Sweetbay the reports said the freezing stuff would be more likely in the eastern foothills. I am hoping my elevation will trend it to the snow side. I have to tell myself, Do not be afraid of color. I'm sure I could find a blue that would work with all the existing colors.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola if I stay busy the wait for warm won't seem so long.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I vote for haint blue. I love the leaf photo. It looks like a tent. This is what the garden fairies see from their angle. So do the kitties.

Les said...

We thankfully will not be in the worst of the weather headed north today. Rain and snow mix with only 2-3" accumilated by Sun. a.m. Better than the 2' called for in other parts of the state. I am so sick of this weather.

Anonymous said...

I vote for haint blue. I seem to see a little blue in the rock wall,myself. Stay warm and don't fall on the ice while you're alone!

bev

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you got the wood taken down there to help make the time go faster and the completion date nearer. We can pinpoint you easily on the weather maps with the county lines and major highways shown. Pink turning to white. I agree with the Haint Blue too, and can imagine sitting under there with you and talking plants. Someday. :-)
Frances