Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Varmint Central

The prowler was back last night and a new set of prints was left in the snow. After much online looking and comparison to the actual prints, I do believe there is a coyote patrolling the grounds. One of the first characteristics to identification is not the paw print itself, but the track pattern showing the gait of the animal.

Those small prints on the right show the pattern of an animal in the dog family. It says coyote because the rear foot has been placed nearly on top of the front foot print. The distance between prints is another indication of species and while I did not measure it precisely, the eyeball technique would indicate the right distance for a coyote.

That worn trail of much larger prints on the left belong to the Sasquatch seen roaming the cold wilderness of Hebo mountain.



I also found two samples of scat. One very fresh one on the gravel driveway and one right along the trail where Monday's trail of prints was photographed. Coyotes have a habit of placing their scat in well traveled and visible places to leave a message. I'll spare you the picture of poo.

Instead here are the distinct four footed prints of the raccoon. I found samples of them online as well. The recent visitor on the deck wandered all the way down to the cozy cabin and beyond.



It was busy here in the night and just as busy half the day. The hounds were out and the hunters were driving around and around in circles in their pickup trucks tracking the hounds with the radio receiver antenna. Late this afternoon I found hound tracks in the ridge top garden and there were hunter tracks headed down the trail in the kingdom next door. I also heard a helicopter hovering in the general location were I heard the hounds further north on the ridge that is the ridge top garden.

What's up with that? Please tell me the hunters are not using helicopters now. Was it the feds watching the hunters?

I just try to make myself visible to the hunters and wave once or twice as they drive in circles. I am here. See me.

The sun came out today too and I was snapping some potential entries for Gardening Gone Wild's Picture This contest. The theme this month is Winter Light.


Walking Sticks




Forgotten Fall



These are not the entries. I will do a separate post for that and I don't think they liked my contest within a contest readers choice voting. I have others I am mulling over.



The winter light sets on another day and thoughts of varmints fill my head.



I try to find some peace with the risk of having pets in the wild places. The resident gardeners were the ones who wanted me to have a cat. They kept insisting. You just don't get so emotionally attached to a glue trap.

12 comments:

Lola said...

Oh my, critters in the night & half the day must be nerve racking. Make sure kitties stay in.
Great pics as usual. I really like the sky scene.
Do stay warm & be careful of the hunters.
Can't imagine why the over head device.

chuck b. said...

We have to learn to live with coyotes, everywhere. It seems they are here to stay. Killing one puts pressure on their otherwise population-stable social unit, and they start breeding, making more and more coyotes. It's the wrong strategy.

Anyway, maybe if you urinate outdoors in particular locations you can send a message to the animals that this territory belongs to you not them. I'm trying it in my garden with mixed results so far (possums are my pest). They've stayed completely out of one bed they attacked heavily last year. I haven't started peeing elsewhere yet.

Do I suddenly seem very Northern Californian?

sweetbay said...

The winter light is beautiful. If I were you I'd wear something in a nice bright shade of orange during hunting season.

Stone Art's Blog said...

Lovely photos, looks so peacfull.

Eliza said...

I didn't know coyotes overlapped their footprints, do you know if it is to disguise their numbers? Good luck to your kitty!

Anonymous said...

Know your enemy, isn't that rule number one of warfare? I think your kitties know, by smell perhaps, what is out there and want no part of it. Good for them. Maybe the suggestion of Chuck to mark the territory as yours is a good idea too. The cozy cabin is looking wonderfully bright and fresh with the white. I hope you got the wood down to help change up the routine a bit. The map says you are getting ice right now. What a winter this has been.
Frances

Anonymous said...

Well maybe the hunters and dogs will keep the coyotes shy and wary. Makes one realize why the settlers wouldn't go outside their houses without their rifles! Sounds like your kitties are already well aware. Your photo of "The View" is even more enchanting than usual.

bev

Siria said...

Hi Christopher! It's good to know what you might have out there, and Chuck might be on to a good idea of how to keep them away. You don't have anything to lose...

As for the new photo contest, have you given any thought to submitting a photograph of your gorgeous view in the winter light? You have some stunning photographs with incredible colors in the sky that truly depict the winter light. Have fun picking out a photograph to enter into the contest!

Siria said...

Oh..and I also wanted to mention that when there are helicopters in the air around here, it usually means the cops are "hunting" for someone on the loose for having done something they shouldn't have done. There wasn't someone on the loose out in the woods was there? Make sure to keep your doors locked. :)

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola for being so remote it can get busy round here.

Chuck do you mean to tell me I spent all that money on a turd box and drain field for nothing.

Sweetbay I think they know I am here now. It the same guys most of the time. They are pretty territorial about their own hunting grounds.

Hi Stone Art. Most of the time it is peaceful up here.

Eliza that is just the normal gait of a single animal. I don't think another coyote would try to step in the same prints.

Frances we got a little ice before it turned to snow. I have been doing Chuck's advice down at the cabin for a long time. No facilities there yet.

Bev I was kind of hoping the hunters and hounds would chase the coyote away. No fresh sign of it today.

Siria I did consider one of the views shots, but I don't think that is exactly what the judge would be looking for. It is too big of a scene. Helicoptors around here could mean they are looking for pakalolo, but it is the wrong season for that. I do keep the door locked though.

lisa said...

Funny how the varmints run in groups...chasing each other, I suppose. You'd need a game cam to be sure what manner of creature you're dealing with...that could make for some fun posts, too :) Not that your posts aren't already fun, of course!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Coyotes might make the deer keep their distance, and they will certainly take care of any rabbits for you. So they aren't all bad. Keep the kitten indoors, and if you want a pet you won't have to worry about, get a Borzoi or two - coyotes won't mess with them.