Thursday, April 1, 2010

Look The Other Way

Yesterday we were down there looking up. Today we are up there looking out from Client #3's. West to east, facing generally south I think. I can get confused up here.



I do believe that line on the middle mountain on the left is the Blue Ridge Parkway.



It was a freakish 83 degrees when I got back home to my mountain. It isn't supposed to get that warm up here in the summer. The diagnosis is calling for sunny skies and highs near 80 for the next week.



The daffodils are bound to go into overdrive in those kinds of temperatures.



But what can you do? If it is going to be like this all spring and summer, maybe I can grow some decent sized cantaloupe this year.



And you know it is going to tempt me to plant the vegetable garden before May the 15th, our last average frost date.



I would be much happier with highs around 65. That is plenty warm to me now. The patch of Puschkinia is enjoying the warm sunshine.



Two of the firepit crocus are a different kind than most of the others around here. You know how it is looking in those catalogs, "Oh I don't have that one."



I spotted the first of the Anemone to bloom. I have also spotted two dogs roaming the ridge top garden for the second time in three days. I do think someone has set their dogs free out in the country where they have a better chance of surviving than being taken to the pound. NOT!!



It was such a nice day Crawford and Collar spent the whole day outside for the first time in months. Two days ago when I came home they were freaked out and had been inside the whole time. I knew something or someone had been out there by how they were behaving. Later that night I saw the dogs. Today the dogs did not return until I got back. Otherwise I would not have seen hide nor hair of those two cats. They have a burrow or something they hide in when strange cars, people or creatures come around.



Now there is water and dog food out in the garden. I need to make some new friends and call the humane society.



How will this spring be? Will there even be a spring? Will the daffodils bolt in one great crescendo to be snuffed out in a deep freeze? The forest floor has only begun to consider waking up, a few Hepatica have sent up bloom stalks to test things out. All the other inhabitants are still missing underground. Not even a violet was to be found and it was 83 degrees up here today.

What manner of dogs have been let loose in the garden? Will the kitties be able to go outside?



Such is the way of things. Even the tidiest the ridge top garden has ever been since I arrived leaves several piles of stick in the garden. They don't all manage to leave the premises.



It is easier at times to look the other way and enjoy all the good things going on in the garden.

8 comments:

sallysmom said...

I love, love, love that new crocus. If you find out what kind it is, please let us know.
Sallysmom

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I used to live in the country and people would dump their dogs by us. It was so sad. I was on first name basis with the county dog catcher. I hope the dogs are nice. Probably just some rowdy teenagers that someone didn't want after growing out of puppy stage.

Christopher C. NC said...

I knew someone was bound to ask me what something was. Sallysmom the smaller pale blue one on the left is most likely Crocus chrysanthus 'Blue Pearl' and the taller lavender one on the right is C. tommasinianus 'Barr's Purple' from the John Scheepers catalog. That is my go to for trying to figure things out. I know this catolog gets devoured when it comes.

Lisa this makes the third dog drop off. My folks of course said this happened regular enough before I arrived. This time I have two medium/large dogs 40 to 60lbs, one black medium length hair, some border collie maybe. The other short hair and tan colored, a mutt of some sort. I have only seen them from a distance. The black one is scared. The tan one seems to want to get closer.

Siria said...

WOW...your days have been gorgeous! I am sorry to hear you have a few unwanted "guest" in the garden. Are they nice doggies? Maybe they like cats. (or not!) The ridge top garden is truly looking tidy. Even though you still have some sticks, they are all in a neat pile! Bulbarella would be very pleased.

What a gorgeous, expansive view you have while working at your client's!

Lola said...

That is one fantastic view. There is no wonder why it is loved so much.
The pound would be great. Don't want the kitties freaking out & trying to find the tops of trees. Or the bottom of a hole.
Your flowers are looking great. Your temp was the same of ours. Got kinda warm trying to garden. But I did manage to get a couple things done.
Do let us know the names of your mystery plants. Ooops, should have read comments first.

Pam said...

It was hot here yesterday. Felt kinda strange - I was worried that we might go from a late winter to summer, and yesterday felt that way. Things are blooming in a strange order (and in a very condensed sequence) - but down here, in the flat coastal plain, it is summer it seems. (Oh, that's not true. The nights are still cool. True summer is when that fails to happen.)

Did the dogs look at all cared for? I'm guessing not - no collars, not just lost dogs? I hate seeing truly wild dogs, ones that you know at one time probably weren't lost, but were either just not cared for or were abandoned. I know something has to be done, but I can't help but thing that we need more people catchers, and that the dogs should be fed and petted and the people should be caught and carried away. Sigh.

sweetbay said...

I love the views and the spring flowers. Beautiful.

Diane said...

We went over 80 yesterday and probably will again today. I hope the temps turn cooler soon because early springs are tough on prairie gardens - by August, the plants will be tired already. Wish I were on the Blue Ridge Parkway right now; it's such a nice drive.