Saturday, April 3, 2010

This Is The Bulbapaloozathon

The theme this year would have to be Fast and Furious.



After an initial extended delay, nothing is stopping them from rushing to complete the job. There is no hint of caution. Crazy bulbs. I don't trust winter that much.



The difference between early, mid and late bloomers could be completely erased by the end of the warm week to come. I think we have the large cupped 'Ice Follies' here. Then again three of them have some other business going on in the cup and could be a different cultivar altogether. It is not unknown for different bulbs to end up in the same clump.



This one must be the cyclamineus daffodil 'February Gold'. That could be wrong or that just shows how delayed things were.



The trumpet daffodil 'Goblet' is a good fit.



I'm guessing small cup. Lets see. Now that I have found you 'Juanita' I remember seeing an actual name tag, but you are a big cupped girl.



Could be the trumpet 'Lemon Glow'. I am beginning to think I need the Daffodil Illustrated encyclopedia.



One of the very poorly represented in John Scheepers catalog split cup daffodils. Not in Van Bourgandien either. No name for you.



Will they last the week in this warm weather? I can only watch and see.



There will be daffodils blooming in a week I have no worries. Plenty are left that are unopened or still pushing up bloom stalks.



You see the plan was to have a long drawn out season by planting the whole range of early, mid and late bloomers, then mixing it up with one of every kind just to be on the safe side. It works in theory and in certain weather conditions.

Disclaimer: The author of this blog is not an expert on daffodils. I just know the varmints won't eat them.

3 comments:

Lola said...

Looking good Christopher. I see in the last pic that you will have some iris or are they done.
How in the world can you tell them apart? They all look the same to me unless they are different colors.
Mother would be proud. So would Dad.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lola the iris are just waking up and bloom in May/June if I recall correctly.

Lola said...

HAPPY EASTER, DEAR FRIEND.
My iris are just now coming in. The blooms haven't opened as yet. Maybe in a day or two.