Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Japanese Shrubberies

So my first ever official Japanese garden was planted today. I have no idea if it passes Japanese code. As long as the client is happy that is all that matters. I'll find out when they get back from Canada.



That rubber hose from the fountain pump still needs to be put through holes drilled in a couple of rocks. I don't have a hammer drill handy for such a job. Husband here is a building contractor and it was hinted one of his crew would drill the rocks. We shall see. I am tempted to just go rent one and be done with it.



The fountain anyway has a larger pump and much better flow that creates a most pleasing sound.



One hose pot still needed.



So what kind of shrubberies do we have here? In the pot is a Chamaecyparis somebody (no tag followed me home) next to an Osmanthus heterophyllus and Ilex crenata 'Steeds', an upright pyramidal form.



There is a Dwarf Japanese White Pine, Crimson Queen Japanese Maple, Gold Thread Chamaecyparis labled as a 2 to 3 foot height and spread, variegated Acorus, and Elfin Thyme planted throughout to form a lawn of sorts.



There is more, Autumn Fern, a blue grey Carex, a Chamaecyparis 'Pygmaea Aurescens' and the Weeping Blue Atlas Ceder. The few plants I left from the former planting are an unknown fern, some asiatic lily, a sedum and Lily of the Valley. I even dug up a couple of what looked like daffodil bulbs and stuck them back in the ground. A few brief flowers can't hurt. I did say this wouldn't likely qualify as authentic.



There you have it, one Japanese garden. A few minor details and it will be done, including moving the second flagstone off the steps in the picture above just a bit to the right.

4 comments:

Lola said...

It all looks very good. I like it.

Anonymous said...

I like it! No doubt there would be quibbles about authenticity, but a garden is to please its owner (and its maker) and nothing else.

bev

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Yes, a nice attempt at a Japanese Garden. I really like the plant selections.

Gardener in the Distance said...

Well put-together, Christopher. I like the colours - especially the blue-greens and the purple - and I like that the planting entices you to peer down.