Saturday, August 6, 2011

Meditation In Stone 2

Baby brother and family are coming to visit so I am cleaning house and getting ready to move back to the luxury basement accommodations next door for a couple of days. I will try to take the kitties with me. We'll see how that goes.

It was a good excuse to play house a bit and do more organizing and actual removal of construction tools and supplies that continue to linger inside the cozy cabin. Then I indulged myself in a little meditation in stone or you could say I was making the other half of the front entry ready for company.



It's like there is an actual path leading to the front door now.



This incarnation of meditative stone is more better. I don't have to worry about crushing the kitties and it is way more attractive. Maybe it will stay. That's one of the good things about dry stacked stone. You can always change your mind.



Now what in the heck do I want to plant here?



It needs to be short. There is a Kousa Dogwood just to the left of the stacked stones for height. Now it gets full sun. That will change some as the dogwood grows. But then plants are not encased in cement any more than the dry stacked stones.



It almost feels odd after all these years to be making actual progress on the landscaping of the cozy cabin. Odd and thrilling.

7 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your walk to the CC looks down right inviting. I like the meditation stones too. The tall one on the right looks like an animal to me. I hate to say it because I sound so repetitive...but it looks like a bird. I can see the bill... It looks like you are having fun now.

Lola said...

Oh my, I love it. A most welcome area. I did get a chuckle when you wanted to know, what do you plant there now. You are so talented & informative it will come to you.
Anyone should feel honored to stay in such a fine area as that. The Cozy Cabin looks wonderful. All the lush & pretties just enhance it.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa I see more of an Easter Island face. We each bring our own experience to our hallucinations.

Lola It is easier to design and plant for clients. Most of them don't know plants and are just excited to be getting something nice put in. I know plants and want more than the ordinary.

Becky said...

I just love your dry stonework. I'm intrigued by your bottle borders. I would be afraid of what frost heave would do to them here in zone 4. I'd like herbs just outside my kitchen door, but no matter what you decide to plant it will look great. Right now you have nice Zen look!

Anonymous said...

Chris, I saw the face too. I was going to post a comment saying that but you beat me to it.
BTW, it's good that the rocks are not to large to be moved. That way nothing is "set in stone" so to speak.
Sallysmom

Randy Emmitt said...

Christopher,

I like the meditation stones a lot. But the big odd stones in the border bother me. You need more bottles, blue ones mixed in.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what you should plant there, but I guess it depends on what aesthetic you are looking for - e.g. if you want to continue the Japanese theme with the rocks, it presumably should be something calm and evergreen like a groundcover? Or you could chuck caution to the winds and go for color! The beauty is in having the choice - and it's all yours! will follow with interest!
bev