Thursday, September 6, 2012

It Becomes A Babbling Brook

The first test run showed where some minor adjustments were needed in the small upper pond in order to keep the babbling brook contained in the stream bed. Those were done.




















The pond was successfully filled. More water, the amount in recirculation, is actually needed once a stream begins to flow.




















A volume control valve if desired, a drain valve for the water line and two storm water overflow drains are connected and ready to go. It is going to storm and it will overflow. They will come in handy at some point.




















Now it is time to haul rocks.




















Lots of rocks. This is really the hardest part.




















It's babbling. That is the easy part.




















There are several babbles along the course of the stream.




















And I still have a lot more rock to haul.




















It is the aesthetic placement of rocks that is really the hardest part. Nothing could be more hideous than a stream with a bunch of sad rocks lining the edge. It must look real. It must look natural. It has to have movement and drama.

I plan to relay the flagstone path to make it interact with the babbling brook. I want to get rid of the rigid walkway effect.




















I will play with rocks until I am happy with the way it looks. Once that is done the planting pockets created will get planted. That will soften the great wash of stone. Next spring the stream itself and the pond can get vegetated.

Not bad for my very first babbling brook.

8 comments:

Lola said...

Even at this stage it is glorious. Love the bridge over it.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Bravo!

lh said...

Beautiful! Good job!
Lois

Gaia Gardener: said...

I can't wait to see the final effect! It's really inspiring - and it's been fun to watch the various steps along the way.

KatieD said...

Lovely!! Did you also build the bridge?

Rock River Stitches said...

Love your babbling brook! I can tell it will be beautiful when it is finished.

Are you in Clyde, NC? My daughter and her family live in Clyde and have their business, Blue Mountain Chiropractic in Waynesville.

Tammy

Christopher C. NC said...

Hi Tammy. I am a bit outside of Clyde, NC. I have met your daughter and son-in-law. As a hard working peasant gardener I have been in need of Dr. Hogan's spine altering services.

Rock River Stitches said...

Christopher, When I first saw the progress pictures of your beautiful brook, all I could think about was my back would be in dire need of an adjustment LOL! You have a beautiful home!

Tammy