Thursday, September 13, 2012

On To The Next Mum

The unknown mum that fell out of the ground and followed me home has been in full bloom for a couple of weeks. Any day now I expect it to be done. It has been quite the show.




















No worries. The Yellie Mum from Fairegarden, TN is waiting in the wings. Its parent, the odd pink Sheffie Mum, also from Tennessee, will be blooming at the same time, in no time. The cool of fall has arrived. Summer is no more.




















Fall is the time for the great hordes of asters. This is the preferred Blue Wood Aster, Symphyotrichum cordifolium. It is less tall, less floppy, blooms in shades of blue and covers the mountain top well into the shadier places. If I can weed out the obnoxious New England Aster, the Blue Wood Aster will happily move into the sun.


























Hiding in the shade, tucked among the Lush is the start of a patch of hardy begonia. It has been slow to run rampant, but I know it will. This year there were already dozens of babies at the mother plants feet. Aggressive tendencies are a near requirement for life in the Lush.


























Rudbeckia hirta continues to bloom. This one has really long petals. You never know what kind of flower you will get with these until they bloom. It's not like I planted them. They just showed up. Maybe I did toss out the seed, but I don't remember.




















Some of it I planted. Some of it I didn't plant. I spend more time removing things than putting new plants in the ground.




















The object continues to be organized chaos. I got plenty chaos. I just don't like all the players or some of them trying to hog the whole show.




















A lifetime of editing stretches before me. One year it will be just right.

3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

The pink tops of the grass in the last picture sure stand out in the fall sun light.

Lola said...

I was going to ask you if that is Pink Muhly in the last pic. It's all very pretty.

Christopher C. NC said...

Lisa when the grasses first bloom they have nice color.

Lola that is the Miscanthus. The Pink Muhly is not near that big.