Saturday, July 6, 2013

Editing

There are piles of editings all over the place. It has to be having some effect, preferably a long term effect. I know I will be editing for the duration. I just hope it gets easier over time.





















I edit for wild flowers. The Mexican Hat, Ratibida columnifera are starting to bloom. This is a perennial, but they did not show up in the same numbers this year as last. Annual, perennial, the wild flowers are not a stable lot in these conditions. They are forever rearranging themselves.



























Some are more durable and aggressive like the Gooseneck Loosestrife, Lysimachia clethroides. Even this thuggish plant was set back and thinned by the late freezes last year.



























The Gloriosa Daisies are a weak perennial at best. They don't last long, but given a smidgen of bare earth they will set seed and spread generously. You never know where they will show up.

That is where editing comes in. It creates those smidgens of bare earth that allow the good weeds to multiply.



















Today I found a Verbena bonariensis way down in the bottom of the tall flower meadow. The only verbena here are all the way up top in the roadside bed. I like seeing things like that. My editing must be having an effect.

3 comments:

Lola said...

I do believe the editing is working. Seems it did for me.

Christopher C. NC said...

It's working Lola. I just wish the clematis wasn't so terrible. It roots where it touches the ground and wants to break before I can get the root and bud. Any piece I leave seems to resprout. Progress is slow and steady.

Lola said...

I can't remember exactly what the clematis looks like. Sure would like to see a close up to medium pic of it. Nasty that it roots like that. I had a rose like that so got rid of it, finally. lol